X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frantaylor
    replied
    Originally posted by mattmatteh View Post
    i dont think closed source drivers should be considered at all.
    Some of us RELY on closed source drivers for advanced 3-D support that would simply not exist otherwise.

I follow the directions carefully and have had nothing but great success with the nVidia drivers.

Philosophical considerations about the merits of open source do not belong in a buyer's guide.

Leave a comment:

• some-guy
    replied
    Maybe the site should have a linux support rating

It could have
    'Full support with open source drivers' (ath5k, ath9k(?), etc)
    'Partial support with open source drivers' (could include b43, -ati, madwifi)
    'Buggy support with open source drivers' (intel) and
    'Full support with proprietary drivers' (nvidia fglrx(though this IS broken))

Leave a comment:

• cjcox
    replied
    I think a compatible shop is a GREAT idea. Just have to remember that vendors DO NOT consider hardware changes without model number changes to be an issue. Therefore, just because a laptop (for example) works one day, it may not work well with a Linux distro tomorrow, even though the model number is the same. Hate it when they do things like this... I just want to note that you can't just "be done with it" once you think you've found a compatible item.

Leave a comment:

• The_Monkey_King
    replied
    Okay, here our my thoughts:
    1) Not all hardware is supported exactly like Microsoft. (Especially video like ATI) To say that a specific piece of hardware "works" with a particular distro is likely to be peppered (or smeared) with disclaimers. If youd don't place disclaimers, phoronix will become a glowing nuclear hotspot for criticism (and perhaps a lawsuit) because you specify it "works."

2) With #1 in mind, maybe phoronix should consider a google-like product search hosting on this site. End-user inputs a product name, sku, part number into the search field and the results are product sellers, along with the phoronix article or review of the product and a link to the forum discussion/product rating from the forum readership.

This idea allows you to not make any claims on behalf of or in place of the manaufacturer (and avoidng lawsuits to any claims). It shows product ratings like CNET or PCWorld (phoronix rating, user rating). And you clould probably sell link-backs to authorized parts dealers, oh, and of course ad space.

With something like this, phoronix could become the premier website for all things Linux. (news, reviews, shopping search, forums)

Leave a comment:

• AdrenalineJunky
    replied
    Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
    As long as the gpu company (which seems to be our example) supports the hardware like they should if they were worth buying from, then closed source drivers would only be a religious debate. Intel doesnt fudge the drivers so the benchmarks look good on mac, intel just doesnt give a shit. Open source implementations of ATI was a community effort yet people are willing to buy the cards for the open drivers even though ATI really doesnt care. Its not hard for them to document some stuff and make other people do it. Look at what S3 wants done, they basically want us to make the driver for them.

Theres alot to think about if setting up a store. The idea of selling ati cards for open drivers is a moral disaster. Your supporting a company who is working on the backs of its users. Kind of defeats the purpose of it being open source. Im just saying its food for thought.
    i don't think you really have your information straight on whats going on with ATI's open drivers.

Leave a comment:

• mattmatteh
    replied
    not sure how you could rate laptops. have a rating for overall or have individual ratings for each component?

Leave a comment:

• mattmatteh
    replied
    i dont think closed source drivers should be considered at all. for example, i have some older nvidia cards and those have to use older drivers, and require masking the current drivers, and possible stuck using an older kernel. i have helped a few people try linux on an older computer with nvidia, its not easy. sure nvidia drivers are good, but users are at the mercey of them for support, where open source will last as long as there are users and developers.
    Originally posted by Michael View Post
    If it's done, it would be tied to a store or stores, for revenue generating reasons.
    perhaps have both? full details on phoronix and quick rating on the vendor site. on the vendor site rating 1 through 5 for 'working opensource driver', 'open documentation', and 'open source friendly vendor'. (for the case of graphics cards, might need a 2D column and 3D column)

Leave a comment:

• frantaylor
    replied
    Originally posted by tlmck View Post
    Laptops that are "fully" compatible out of the box. Not necessarily the ones that come with Linux preinstalled.
    That would depend on the distribution you wish to install. Some laptops boot up and run fine on one dist. and fail miserably with another.

Even then, laptops are stuffed with features that not everyone uses. For instance, people many not care that the Bluetooth interface or the fingerprint scanner are not supported.

Leave a comment:

• L33F3R
    replied
    Originally posted by Qaridarium
    why not honor a good cloused source linux driver?

but we need to make clear opensource drivers on an long time view is the better way.

in my point of view intel isn't a alternativ becourse high prices and the igp VGAs are slow and pointless.

but intel supports opensource up to 100% LOL!

if opensource means self hurd right intel is the way to go pay highprices for an minimum opensource only support...

in my point of view amd will be much better in the future.

becourse you have the choice open and cloused source driver and specs.

intel has cloused source drivers to but only for macosX/windows

so intel is a joge for linux users.. linux users lose every 3D benchmark against macos only becourse intelshit drivers.

i think if intel brings the same cloused source driver to linux linux will win all benchmarks again macosX..

intel=highprices and a joge only for lose benchmarks its an marketing gag for macos...

i think apple pays intel for this!
    As long as the gpu company (which seems to be our example) supports the hardware like they should if they were worth buying from, then closed source drivers would only be a religious debate. Intel doesnt fudge the drivers so the benchmarks look good on mac, intel just doesnt give a shit. Open source implementations of ATI was a community effort yet people are willing to buy the cards for the open drivers even though ATI really doesnt care. Its not hard for them to document some stuff and make other people do it. Look at what S3 wants done, they basically want us to make the driver for them.

Theres alot to think about if setting up a store. The idea of selling ati cards for open drivers is a moral disaster. Your supporting a company who is working on the backs of its users. Kind of defeats the purpose of it being open source. Im just saying its food for thought.

Leave a comment:

• BloodyIron
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post
    If it's done, it would be tied to a store or stores, for revenue generating reasons.
    This would work, but I too admit that I would use this primarily as a reference. Depending on who the storefront was of course, and if it was an intl site or just USA can change things too (I'm Canadian).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X