No announcement yet.

AMD FreeSync For Tear-Free Linux Gaming - Current State In 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the meantime, AMD GPU market share dropped from 25% to below 9% in a single year, so freesync is more and more irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
      I didn't have much luck when I tried it a while ago. So it's only supported on Displayport, does that include passive displayport to hdmi adapters? Afaik they only work with displayport+ and put the displayport into a hdmi compatible mode...
      FreeSync works over HDMI too (it is using a proprietary extension to HDMI spec).

I never tried it over adapters though, and I would not be surprised if I found out they do shenanigans that break FreeSync.

Comment

Originally posted by pete910 View Post

It got a firmware update after tft did review
        That's nice. 48-144 with LFC is 16-144fps and that's not bad at all

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
          Thanks Michael.

I just realized today also that the AMD OpenCL ROCm kernel supports FreeSync. So now I have full OpenCL and FreeSync support on Ubuntu 17.10... pretty, pretty awesome.

Code:
          $ uname -a
          Linux ubuntu 4.11.0-kfd-compute-rocm-rel-1.6-180 #1 SMP Tue Oct 10 08:15:38 CDT 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
          $ DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --prop|grep freesync
          freesync_capable: 0
          freesync: 0
          freesync_capable: 1
          freesync: 1
          It might say enabled, but it's not going to do anything at this point. Tried it myself, and it's not working. We are going to need the userspace bits before we can enjoy Freesync on the open drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

It might say enabled, but it's not going to do anything at this point. Tried it myself, and it's not working. We are going to need the userspace bits before we can enjoy Freesync on the open drivers.
            Oh, dang :/

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

Hopefully the adaptive synchronisation works the same way so Freesync code works for Freesync 2 as well and hopefully it will work independently of HDR so that doesn't hold anyone back from using adaptive refresh rates on a Freesync 2 monitor in case it's not implemented by then.

Pretty sure Freesync = Freesync 2, only that the latter has a stricter certification process for monitors with some added requirements.
              Hopefully... Still didn't get any official answer on that from AMD.
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Cant see how they have a history of it as its their first freesync 2 monitors though
                history since june 12 - more than six months

Comment

It got a firmware update after tft did review
                  did that update fix issue which made tftcentral recommend limiting rate to 100 hz (which will still make 48 minimum too high) ?
                  i guess new review is in order

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    history since june 12 - more than six months
                    lost me on that tbh!
                    What other FS2 monitors have they made before the chg70 range ?

Regards another review I guess so as there's a few tweaks ect that are in the update. Surprised tft hasn't updated the review and mentioned the firmware update/fixes

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      FreeSync works over HDMI too (it is using a proprietary extension to HDMI spec).
                      I never tried it over adapters though, and I would not be surprised if I found out they do shenanigans that break FreeSync.
                      I know eventually it will work. But as the article says
                      While FreeSync on Windows supports HDMI outputs too, FreeSync currently on Linux will just work with DisplayPort connections.
                      So I'm curious about the state currently.

The thing is, I have a Dell SE2717H monitor which does not have Displayport input...

Comment

Working...
                      X