No announcement yet.

Ryzen/Threadripper Prices Have Been Dropping Ahead Of The Holidays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perhaps it's a sign about pricing. Last week, one week before Black Friday, I bought a Ryzen 1700 for $260 Canadian. Thats about $210 American. My concern as I collect my pieces for my new build are the costs of a reasonable GPU and 16Gigs of RAM, Each of which I mentiomed is more expensive than my outlay for the CPU.

Comment

For the time being I'll leave this here:

Microcenter.com has the best deals on CPUs, both Intel & AMD Processors, to start your PC build off right! Stop by and shop for one at you local Micro Center Computer Store!

Something is definitely going on with AMD, a Ryzen 7 1700x for $230 and a 1920X for $500? I tend to be the suspicious type, if the price of AMD processors is tanking so much then it's either because Intel's Cannonlake are kicking AMD's ass all over the place or because of this:

Is AMD readying a new round of processors for its AM4 platform? It certainly seems so, with Asus releasing a new BIOS update for its entire range of B350 and X370 motherboards that effectively confirms this.

I think the smart move is to see what AMD releases in January, because I still can't be talked into buying an AMD pile of spunk. Let's see if the 1920X drops down to $400.

Comment

Originally posted by Niarbeht View Post

AMD's stock is "down" to $11 a share from, what, under $2 a couple years ago? That's a long fall. Do stock prices wrap positive at zero?
        AMD's stock was at $14.26 in mid Oct 2017, and for the mathematically challenged $11 a share DOWN from where it was a month ago.

It gets even more laughable. Dual EPYC 7251s can beat dual Xeon 4108s in one of your own source's AVX-512 benchmarks. Hell, dual 7251s beat dual 4108s in nearly every test, and that gets repeated even in the single-CPU scenarios. Do you even check your own sources?
        The 7251 has a base clock of 2.1Ghz, max turbo of 2.9Ghz and a TDP of 120W, the Xeon 4108 has a base clock of 1.8Ghz, max turbo of 3Ghz, and a TDP of 85W, so from a power consumption standpoint the Xeons offer a much better value, as for the GROMACS test here's what they say:

In Linux-Bench2 we are using a “small” test for single and dual socket capable machines. Our medium test is more appropriate for higher-end dual and quad socket machines. Our GROMACS test will use the AVX-512 and AVX2 extensions if available.

Unfortunately they have not started using their medium test publicly which would likely skew the results.

Regardless, I say live and let live, if you're happy not liking girls then by all means by an AMD processor or you can be a man and buy an Intel.

Comment

Originally posted by Spooktra View Post

AMD's stock was at $14.26 in mid Oct 2017, and for the mathematically challenged $11 a share DOWN from where it was a month ago.

The 7251 has a base clock of 2.1Ghz, max turbo of 2.9Ghz and a TDP of 120W, the Xeon 4108 has a base clock of 1.8Ghz, max turbo of 3Ghz, and a TDP of 85W, so from a power consumption standpoint the Xeons offer a much better value, as for the GROMACS test here's what they say:

Unfortunately they have not started using their medium test publicly which would likely skew the results.

Regardless, I say live and let live, if you're happy not liking girls then by all means by an AMD processor or you can be a man and buy an Intel.
          Hilarious how, after having your own evidence thrown back in your face for not supporting your argument, you resort to personal insults.

Feeling inadequate, eh?

Comment

Hilarious how, after having your own evidence thrown back in your face for not supporting your argument, you resort to personal insults.

Feeling inadequate, eh?
            What's "hilarious" is that those arguing with me don't seem to know the difference between a Threadripper and an EPYC processor. The discussion started with me saying I don't think Threadrippers offer a good value because of lack of AVX-512 and provided links to some benches to support my stance; I was countered with the claim that Intel processors that support AVX-512 do not support ECC and that they support substantially less ram, I countered with links to Xeon Silvers that are very attractively priced against Threadrippers, offer 2P SMP, AVX-512, ECC support and support substantial amounts of ram, and was countered with smug replies that my own links show EPYC beating Xeon Silvers.

I never offered an opinion on EPYCs one way or the other, as I haven't seen all that many benchmarks around the web nor am I sure as to how readily available they are.

My comments were in regard to Threadripper not offering a lot for the money; the EPYC 7281 offers 16C/32T with 8 channel ram for $600, a Threadripper 1950X which uses quad channel ram costs $800 and was originally priced at $1000.

Face the facts, the Threadrippers simply do not offer a good value when compared against either Intel's processors or AMD's own offerings in the form of EPYC.

The Threadrippers should not be HEDT parts and priced as such, they should be main stream parts and priced as such.

I firmly believe that the price of AMD cpu's is tanking because in early 2018 we will see the first Cannonlake show their face, with AVX-512 for the entire product line and I think AMD will respond by releasing 10C/20T and 12C/24T processors which use dual channel ram into the sub $400 main stream market.

And yes, I don't think any Intel cpu that lacks AVX-512 support currently available is a good buy, I think only a sucker or someone that has no choice because his computer died builds a new pc right now.

Comment

Working...
            X