Ubuntu 17.10 Ships Today - Arguably Its Most Interesting Release In Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Windows 10? Is that a new ubuntu-based distro?
    It does run (a big part of) Ubuntu, yes

Comment

Windows 10? Is that a new ubuntu-based distro?
      It can be although it's better as an Archlinux distro. I transformed my Windows 10 installation into an Archlinux/Antergos-based distribution and replaced the Windows Explorer shell with Gnome Shell, although any Linux shell / desktop environments can be made to work as a replacement. Plus, unlike my experience of having frequent system hard-locks while running Linux on bare-metal, distros runs with better stability on-top of Windows.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/xae...2961032652097/
      Last edited by Xaero_Vincent; 19 October 2017, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ferry View Post
        Unfortunate decision to stop supporting i686. There are still a lot of laptops with amd64 compatible cpu around where the bios restricts to running 32 bits. Those will be forced to another distro.
        They didn't stop supporting it. They stopped distributing it via iso files.

But you can still upgrade your system if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

After GNOME has adopted NVIDIA's EGLStreams system? Fat chance.
          Oddly enough it appears to still be broken causing high CPU usage in Gnome Wayland and/or the driver crashing and falling back to llvmpipe on Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post

It can be although it's better as an Archlinux distro. I transformed my Windows 10 installation into an Archlinux/Antergos-based distribution and replaced the Windows Explorer shell with Gnome Shell, although any Linux shell / desktop environments can be made to work as a replacement. Plus, unlike my experience of having frequent system hard-locks while running Linux on bare-metal, distros runs with better stability on-top of Windows.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/xae...2961032652097/
            The highest uptime you can get with Windows is when you're running it in vm on Linux. Too bad Ubuntu messed up with this release and unstable mess like Gnome. It used to be much better than Windows 10 ever was.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

The highest uptime you can get with Windows is when you're running it in vm on Linux. Too bad Ubuntu messed up with this release and unstable mess like Gnome. It used to be much better than Windows 10 ever was.
              Actually, the only downtime you get on Windows is because of updates. But that's exactly when you have to reboot Linux too.

Comment

I was taking a look at Ubuntu 17.10 this week, looking at the things they did to easy the transition from Unity.

- The side bar really helps, but need a little more contrast to highlight what application is active. Right now they put a small dot on the icons to indicate what app is running but is difficult to see what is the active one on the moment;

- There is a big loss in vertical space with the big bars in the applications, compared to what it used to be on Unity. Haters of the 16:9 screen ratio will be more upset than ever;

- What is this fixation with the clock? They need a more big reminder of the hour to leave work not a minute later? Putting it on the center of the top task bar instead of the right and being the only thing on the lock screen. Speaking of lock screen;

- I do not have a touchscreen. Why do you make me "slide" the screen with a mouse to put a password to finally unlock it?

- Why did the Gnome developers sacrificed the mouse/touchpad users on the Altar of Touchscreen ®? The thick applications bars, the hiding of menus, the ridiculous slide to unlock the lock screen, etc etc, making the live of mouse users miserable?

- The applet on the right taskbar is a ruge regression in usability. You used to do a lot of things in just 2 clicks, now everything is hided deep on the settings, just like Windows. For example, you could see you IP address in jut 2 clicks, now you need to go on network settings just to look at it, loosing a big advantage I used to throw in the face of Windows users, while I was explaining why Linux interface is more advanced and user friendly.

I know this text turn up a big rant, but sincerely I believe dropping Unity was a downgrade to Ubuntu. I really do.

Comment

When Unity first came out it was innovative with many nice ideas, despite rough edges and implementation bugs. After several years it was polished to the point of being balanced and stable desktop, deserving the LTS label. I liked it a lot and never cared about people whining around about it.

There *nothing* nice, innovative or stable neither in 17.10 nor in Gnome shell in general. Half-baked shell extensions with vague imitation of familiar look and feel. Total mess with HiDPI displays.

Each time I try different distros with gnome shell it keeps on being the most ugly, unfriendly and idiotically reduced in UI customization abong all the DE's. If the intention was to attract general public without deep computer or Linux knowledge - oh they fucked up royally. I don't see how a sane person could use Gnome shell out of the box.

So thanks for all the fish, I think KDE is bringing way more now to the Linux desktop experience.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                    I was taking a look at Ubuntu 17.10 this week, looking at the things they did to easy the transition from Unity.

- The side bar really helps, but need a little more contrast to highlight what application is active. Right now they put a small dot on the icons to indicate what app is running but is difficult to see what is the active one on the moment;

- There is a big loss in vertical space with the big bars in the applications, compared to what it used to be on Unity. Haters of the 16:9 screen ratio will be more upset than ever;

- What is this fixation with the clock? They need a more big reminder of the hour to leave work not a minute later? Putting it on the center of the top task bar instead of the right and being the only thing on the lock screen. Speaking of lock screen;

- I do not have a touchscreen. Why do you make me "slide" the screen with a mouse to put a password to finally unlock it?

- Why did the Gnome developers sacrificed the mouse/touchpad users on the Altar of Touchscreen ®? The thick applications bars, the hiding of menus, the ridiculous slide to unlock the lock screen, etc etc, making the live of mouse users miserable?

- The applet on the right taskbar is a ruge regression in usability. You used to do a lot of things in just 2 clicks, now everything is hided deep on the settings, just like Windows. For example, you could see you IP address in jut 2 clicks, now you need to go on network settings just to look at it, loosing a big advantage I used to throw in the face of Windows users, while I was explaining why Linux interface is more advanced and user friendly.

I know this text turn up a big rant, but sincerely I believe dropping Unity was a downgrade to Ubuntu. I really do.
                    Almost makes you wish there was a DE that lets you configure it to look like you describe above, doesn't it?

Comment

No one here cares if you run Windows 10 succesfully...
                      This thread is about Ubuntu a Linux distribution.

I guess Gnome developers will get a lot of feedback after this release.

Comment

Working...
                      X