How To Setup Your Linux System For The Radeon RX Vega

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

Not trolling but requesting a proprietary API by nVidia to be implemented instead of pushing software makers to drop CUDA and going for open computing standards
    No, he's saying AMD should create their own proprietary compute API.

Comment

Can you get any video output on a Vega at all? Or would you need to swap in another GPU in order to install one of the driver options?

Comment

Originally posted by ssam View Post
        Can you get any video output on a Vega at all? Or would you need to swap in another GPU in order to install one of the driver options?
        At least on the stock Ubuntu Linux 4.10 kernel where there is no Vega support at all, you can boot and work with vesa. Haven't tried on 4.12~4.13 to see what happens if AMDGPU activates and then no display or if it rejects it without DAL and then allows vesa. Worst case scenario would just be booting with 'nomodeset`
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Beherit View Post
          With all the fuss going on whether or not DC will get accepted into the mainline Linux kernel
          there is no such fuss, dc will get accepted
          Originally posted by Beherit View Post
          , I wonder what's stopping the AMDGPU (non-pro) devs from incorporating the DC code by using their own DKMS module.
          because amdgpu(non-pro) is part of kernel. to incorporate itself via its own dkms module it has to stop being part of kernel, which is counterproductive

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            Unfortunately, have no hardware (and thus no PTS integration) for proper noise testing.
            i think such hardware is microphone

Comment

Originally posted by thelongdivider View Post
              If only AMD had something like CUDA to execute on all that compute power.
              amd has several things to execute, each better than nvidia proprietary shit

Comment

this article is misleading. easiest way to get working kernel is not to install amdgpu-pro, but to install distro package with amd staging kernel

Comment

Good stuff. I'll probably buy a Vega RX 64 or two to replace my WX 7100 once it's supported in a stable release of the upstream kernel with Mesa. It's a shame it couldn't all come together at launch day, but the code is out there nonetheless, which is a good step forward.

Comment

Originally posted by thelongdivider View Post
                    If only AMD had something like CUDA to execute on all that compute power.
                    GLSL "compute shaders" and OpenCL are working find with the latest amdgpu and mesa versions.

Things like converting video to hevc
                    Radeon RX cards do support hardware accelerated HEVC encoding - usable via vaapi, at least in theory. I could not get hardware accelerated video encoding to run, though, without crashing the system - filed bug report https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=102203 on this.

Comment

I think the firmware should be in the kernels firmware tree, we shouldn't need to go to separate source for firmware.

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                      As i got a RX 550 recently i tested the AMD kernel git too, but HDMI sound does not work. Would be good of you can test HDMI sound.
                      How's the 10-bit HEVC decoding?

Comment

Working...
                      X