Lennart Formally Introduces "mkosi" Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ermo View Post
    Maybe Lennart & Co.'s productivity and willingness to question the status quo and come up with workable alternatives based on clearly articulated goals and motivations tends to make people feel threatened?

I'm not sure I completely understand why. I mean, I get why people can be passionate about their tools, but perhaps the flip side of that coin is that one can become so attached to ones preferred tools that the attachment itself hinders ones ability to take a step back and look at the tools and workflows from a detached, objective and rational point of view.

Perhaps it has something to do with the reptilian part of the brain being activated when one encounters perceived threats to ones self and/or domain? I believe it is generally accepted by now that once this biological fight-or-flight response is activated, the part of the brain that handles civilized discourse and rational arguments shuts down?
    This is the same behavior you can see with religious fundamentalists. They can't accept anything that is even the slightest bit contrary to their dogma, only that in this case the dogmas seem to be "Lennart is the devil" and "systemd will eat your children".

Comment

Originally posted by rmoog View Post
      I'd like to see this ported to C. Portage is written entirely in Python and it causes a few problems.
      What I would NOT like to see, is having systemd as a hard dependency for this tool. This is great and for embedded device firmwares, uselessd (if it was maintained) and OpenRC are good enough.
      Nothing to stop you from porting it, it is open source.

Comment

Originally posted by srakitnican View Post

It is located as a separate project: https://github.com/systemd/mkosi
        Ah ok - someone here said it was part of systemd source repo, I thought that meant it was in the same git repo. My bad. It's all good.
        Last edited by Guest; 29 June 2017, 11:26 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
          When a software is written in C, it takes time to compile and test. Simple programs are better do to with shell scripts and pyhton.
          Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          This person didn't read that mkosi is written in python and is therefore making a fool out of himself even more than someone that just stated C programs are bad because they take time to compile and test.
          Originally posted by rmoog View Post
          I'd like to see this ported to C. Portage is written entirely in Python and it causes a few problems.
          And in these three posts, we've perfectly captured the nature of the Phoronix forums...

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

The shell script approach works for a single distro, but what about a selection of multiple distros? Much easier to depend on an infrastructure.
            I have an idea, why don't you guys stop worring about other peoples distro's? Really, use what you want and stop trying to force the junk you chose down everyone elses throat.

Comment

Working...
            X