Imagination Formally Announces It's Selling Itself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
    Couldn't a non-profit/governmental org/wealthy uni. buy them, or some of their tech?
    ​​​​​​... (though it would be nice if a buyer were to open them up).
    Sure, buying failed company is a best way to spend taxpayers' money.

Comment

Seeing as how Intel is now COMPLETELY out of the IoT and mobile ( phone and tablet ) chip business buying Imagination for their PowerVR IP makes little sense.

Now....SAMSUNG on the other hand.....

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
        Every time I hear their name I only remember about the force feedback lawsuits they fired at Nintendo and Sony. I believe they are (or were) also the motive that open hardware entusiasts did not created force feedback hardware, fearing lawsuits from Imagination.

You mean "immersion"? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immersion_v._Sony

That's a completely different company. PowerVR have never once filed a single patent suit.

Comment

Originally posted by samdraz View Post

acutally this is nice thought, intel gpu will get performance boost it needs
          IIRC, and I likely don't, but the deal with AMD was not a technology licencing, but a pattent licencing. The difference being "we will show you how to do this" vs "we won't sue you if you do this".

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Imagination Technologies is one of those backwards companies that can't keep up with the times.
            They don't get open source.
            Better license Adreno from Qualcomm or Mali from ARM Holdings.
            PowerVR is too proprietary.
            And ARM gets open source how? They seem to be openly against open source drivers for their GPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Imagination Technologies is one of those backwards companies that can't keep up with the times.
              They don't get open source.
              Better license Adreno from Qualcomm or Mali from ARM Holdings.
              PowerVR is too proprietary.
              Pretty much any GPU used in an ARM SoC is unreasonably proprietary.

I don't like any of 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by Khrundel View Post
                Sure, buying failed company is a best way to spend taxpayers' money.
                Worked out alright with GM. I mean tax payers lost some money but now we're getting better quality cars from them.
                Last edited by kenjitamura; 22 June 2017, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kenjitamura View Post

Worked out pretty well with GM.
                  It could have been worse, but we lost over 10 billion dollars on that and had significant additional capital tied up for years. (Though when your 'capital' is all fake to begin with, maybe that part doesn't even matter.)

And there's no way to know if things would have been worse, better, or the same had they not done it. Short term, that is. Long term, it was bad (yeah, teach a noncompetitive, corrupt corporation that it's okay to put profits before quality and sweep your safety issues under the carpet for decades).

But it definitely didn't work out any kind of 'well.'

But the reason the government bailed out GM is because they didn't want owners of those cars to have to worry about the ability to have their cars repaired. I don't agree with this reasoning but that's a tangent. What similar argument exists for Imagination Technologies?

Originally posted by kenjitamura View Post
                  I mean tax payers lost some money but now we're getting better quality cars from them.

We were already getting better cars from everyone else except Chrysler.

Any time there is a bad product on the market, should we give corporations billions of tax money to improve the product?

And to think that we thought we needed competition to increase quality. Geez. All we need is unlimited tax money to give to corps.
                  Last edited by Holograph; 22 June 2017, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
                    Couldn't a non-profit/governmental org/wealthy uni. buy them, or some of their tech?
                    Why would you want that? Sounds like a truly terrible idea and waste of everyone's money.

Comment

Guys, do you thing that is plausible a open source company to buy a hardware company?

Comment

Working...
                      X