Imagination Formally Announces It's Selling Itself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mulenmar View Post
    US$5 says Apple buys them out, or at least tries. And then doesn't lower the price of their iPhones using it.
    At first I thought you said Apple would buy them for US$5.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      Nope, they got all they needed from it already
      They could attempt a buy if they think it's cheaper than the impending lawsuit.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
        Except for Imagination's patents, that is. I don't know what patents they have, but there must be something in there that Apple could use (either now or in the future).
        It does not seem like Apple holds Imagination's patents in high regard, at least to me.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          They could attempt a buy if they think it's cheaper than the impending lawsuit.
          Agreed, the point is that there are more costs than just sale price.
          They buy also debts and plenty of random crap they would need to dump somewhere (I doubt Apple needs Imagination's employees and infrastructure as they said they wanted to do it on their own), and that isn't for free.

Unless it's all a conspiracy, where Apple did the stunt of announcing they were not using Imagination stuff anymore, fully knowing this would put them in trouble and result in a sellout so they could do a U turn and buy them off outright. It's possible but imho unlikely.

Comment

Wonder if intel is interested to buying them. At least they have used PowerVR before and lacked driver side of things on them(closed source crap). Could be good for open source, but bad for arm.

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
              Wonder if intel is interested to buying them. At least they have used PowerVR before and lacked driver side of things on them(closed source crap). Could be good for open source, but bad for arm.
              Could help out Intel WRT graphics pattents. Or are they good after the recent deal with AMD?

Comment

Every time I hear their name I only remember about the force feedback lawsuits they fired at Nintendo and Sony. I believe they are (or were) also the motive that open hardware entusiasts did not created force feedback hardware, fearing lawsuits from Imagination.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  Unless it's all a conspiracy, where Apple did the stunt of announcing they were not using Imagination stuff anymore, fully knowing this would put them in trouble and result in a sellout so they could do a U turn and buy them off outright. It's possible but imho unlikely.
                  This definitely crossed my mind, even before this announcement.

Comment

dream fsf/eff?SPI buys it then it would be awesome

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post

Could help out Intel WRT graphics pattents. Or are they good after the recent deal with AMD?
                      acutally this is nice thought, intel gpu will get performance boost it needs

Comment

Working...
                      X