AMD Ryzen AOCC 1.0 Compiler Tuning Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

Which one? I compiled Qt and KDE with -O3 for years.
    The whole system. Not just one piece of software. I will be waiting.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc.2377 View Post

Don't know about Gentoo, wouldn't use it, but I always compile my kernels (and everything else, including GCC itself and the libraries) with -O3. Everything's smooth as it should.

Edit: x86_64 only. It may well still be "dangerous" for other archs.
      You as well. Compile an entire gentoo s ystem with -O3 lemme know if you are stable.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

The whole system. Not just one piece of software. I will be waiting.
        If the kernel, libc, qt and KDE is all build with -O3, there is not much left. Certainly not anything I am running.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

If the kernel, libc, qt and KDE is all build with -O3, there is not much left. Certainly not anything I am running.
          there are tons of dependencies that become unstable or wont even compile with -O3. there are about ~450 packages on a desktop system if i recall correctly(will have to check when i get home), you are missing a lot of them.

Comment

there are tons of dependencies that become unstable or wont even compile with -O3. there are about ~450 packages on a desktop system if i recall correctly(will have to check when i get home), you are missing a lot of them.
            If they can't compile with -O3 they are broken, and probably have problems with every compiler update as well when the optimizations change.

Comment

You as well. Compile an entire gentoo s ystem with -O3 lemme know if you are stable.
              Well, since I can't test this myself anytime soon, I can agree with you for now that compiling the entire system with -O3 breaks things. I did search about it, though, and while there are some people who compile Gentoo with -O3, I found (in the Gentoo wiki) that it's filtered by the build system, and while it can be circumvented, that's almost guaranteed to result in problems.

For now I'm curious, though, if you personally tested it, and specially with a recent GCC. I always found Gentoo to be too much conservative (for good reason) for me. My arguing still stands, however, since it was about regarding current -O3 as experimental (it _was_ - in gcc < v3 I think- but is no longer, and if it breaks code, it's most certainly faulty code).

Comment

Working...
              X