• Show
Clear All

On average... all Feral's ports are slowmo

On average... Feral add about 30% more hardware requirements

So that is about it - expected

Comment

Originally posted by Blodoffer View Post

Well, it's cool to have more when you have a 144Hz monitor. 🙂
      Still makes no difference, as you probably won't be using vsync because of input lag.

Comment

you must add 1% low and 0.1% low for futures GPU benchmark and comparison.
        Last edited by elbuglione; 28 April 2017, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Also, what hard feelings? I've always said users should use whatever they want. Forums are for discussing pros and cons, not for making choices for others
          If you take out fanboys from this equations than this statement stays true.

Comment

The new "game mode" causes me to get a 20-30% performance drop in the games I use windows for.

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            On average... all Feral's ports are slowmo

On average... Feral add about 30% more hardware requirements

So that is about it - expected

Fair point, ports from third-party devs will never run as well as games made by the devs themselves and typically get help directly from Nvidia/AMD(for larger products, anyways)

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
              The new "game mode" causes me to get a 20-30% performance drop in the games I use windows for.
              And how big performance loss you would get staying on winblowzer 7?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

It's what keeps me in the green camp: whatever performance I get on Windows, I get on Linux, too.
                Judging by the benchmarks results, that's only half true...

Comment

Originally posted by DebianXFCE Jr View Post

If you take out fanboys from this equations than this statement stays true.
                  Any tool in this world get misused. Forums are no exception.
                  Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Judging by the benchmarks results, that's only half true...
                  We must be looking at different benchmarks, because as far as I can see whatever is not wrapped for Linux, performs about the same.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

Still makes no difference, as you probably won't be using vsync because of input lag.
                    That's what GSync / FreeSync / Adaptive Sync is for.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                      So you play a lot with win virus hoover. My kid with 750ti do not even want to have that crap to his pc. You have enough games that work fine with the amdgpu driver.

Nvidia does not even tell what kernel versions it supports and very often 3rd party patches are needed when you want to use recent kernels. Recent kernels have bug fixes for everything, you do not want to have bugs in the file system. Gaming computers are optimized, so use a custom non debug 1000Hz timer kernel. With open source drivers it is much easier to install new drivers, just compile and install your kernel package and update mesa when you update whole system. With nvidia you must boot to the Linux rescue mode and there is no rolling back (you have kernels in the Grub menu) if nv driver installation fails.
                      Um, no. I just installed NVidia 383 direct from their site and tested it without rebooting on my Titan XP. Last time I had to use rescue mode for an NV driver install was maybe 10 years ago. If you use the System76 or Ubuntu packages it build the dkms modules for you, just like the NV driver install. My kernel has been updated numerous times after the 383 install by the package manager with absolutely no problems, fantastic performance, and, you'll like this, no regression. Try that with AMD GPUs.

The problem with AMD GPU hardware and software is their Chinese development team is far too slow to come close to NVs cycle times. Drivers are updated once every six months, and hardware iterations take 24 months. NV iterates 4x faster.

I keep waiting for AMD to get their shit together on GPUs like they did on Ryzen. But instead of paying for world class talent like Jim Keller they keep GPU development penny wise and pound foolish. Just think how much better off they would have been if they'd outsourced Ryzen development to Shanghai instead of wasting all that money on Jim. Right.

​​​

Comment

Working...
                      X