GNOME Foundation To Focus On Fundraising After Years Running A Deficit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

There is not a single charity in the expenditures section of their report. Are you inventing things to get mad about?
    I think he is referring to the time Gnome agreed to handle and administer the funds for what eventually became outreachy - something to get minority communities into computing.

Now I wouldnt call it a misunderstanding as the users of these forums are mostly obtuse and deliberately mislead, but that money wasnt given to gnome Foundation with a view to be used on gnome or the foundation. They were merely the handlers for other causes and projects.

Whether the gnome foundation should have gotten involved is a separate question, but unless shown otherwise funds for Gnome Foundation or Gnome projects were not funneled into it - only funds that had been earmarked for that purpose and given to Gnome Foundation for that reason were used for it.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      Perhaps they should focus more on making an end user product that people actually like... That would help them fundraise....
      EDIT: Convergence never happened, it's a desktop interface so make it an actual desktop interface ffs...
      its a real problem that people report that they can not port their GTK3 app to GTK4 because the gnome-foundation removed key desktop functionality from GTK4...

so we need a fork with the name GDK4 D for Desktop to make it possible for apps to port from GTK3 to GDK4...

more or less as you say its sapotage its a desktop API GUI interface but they remove key desktop functionality to force you into the touchscreen world
      Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
        But why? They just received a huge sum of money from Sovereign Tech Fund...
        this money is not free to use as they want it is limited to reach spezific goals means they can not use this money to fund their board.

Comment

It would be best to donate to the developers working hard to keep the *actual* Gnome desktop alive:

MATE Desktop Environment is totally free and everyone involved are volunteers. Please consider donating to the MATE project. It is nice to have the effort we've put into it recognised. Any money raise

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            The GNOME executive director Holly Million is a professional shaman who performs energy clearing and she can help you to clear your energy! ⚡
            As a shaman she can communicate with the spirit world and do all kinds of healing, divination and magic! 🔮💎

Follow her on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/holly.million/
            Or see her personal website: https://www.hollytheshamanartist.com/about
            looks like a person you use if you want to destroy a software project then you put this hippie person as a trojan horse into this organisation and just wait until this energy vampires sucked up all the money in this organisation.

Energy Vampires - Shanin Blake (Official Lyric Video)

these Hippies sing about Energy Vampires all the time but it looks like they sing about themself and the blood they suck is the money from open-source projects like gnome...

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
              It would be best to donate to the developers working hard to keep the *actual* Gnome desktop alive:

MATE Desktop Environment is totally free and everyone involved are volunteers. Please consider donating to the MATE project. It is nice to have the effort we've put into it recognised. Any money raise
              It seems like a dead project, the latest release is in 2021.

Comment

The GNOME fund shaman is chanting mantras to conjure money from thin air as we speak...

Comment

Originally posted by Eonfge View Post
                  I've previously donated to GNOME, but after clashing with them a few times on topics like UX consistency and backwards compatibility, I've stopped.
                  There is a small but vocal group of developers within GNOME who alienate a lot of people and who have an uncooperative attitude. I'm still helping with Flathub and I'll report the occasional bug, but I have no desire to engage with these people.
                  Their funding problems are in part part because projects like Cinnamon, Mate, Budgie and Elementary Desktop are bringing in hundreds of thousands a year...
                  serious developers report they can not port GTK3 apps to GTK4 because they removed essential desktop functionality forcing people into touch screen simplification...
                  it really looks like the sane people already left gnome and are now they are all on COSMIC (no joke)

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    The GNOME executive director Holly Million is a professional shaman who performs energy clearing and she can help you to clear your energy! ⚡
                    As a shaman she can communicate with the spirit world and do all kinds of healing, divination and magic! 🔮💎

Follow her on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/holly.million/
                    Or see her personal website: https://www.hollytheshamanartist.com/about
                    What. The. Hell.

Wow - how on earth did this nutcase get hired to be their new EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR ... ?????????????????????????? excuse me wtf?

I've suddenly lost a lot of respect for the entire gnome project. Ouch.

Comment

Originally posted by Estranged1906 View Post
                      2. They're wasting their funding on hiring shamans, "diverse" directors that don't do anything and funnelling money into random DIE-related outreach programs, and antagonizing developers of other desktops
                      3. Development of the Gnome desktop is at a snail's pace with basic features taking decades to be implemented
                      The Mozilla of the Linux landscape
                      man you nailed it... i really have the feeling that all the serious people are on COSMIC... now...

with people reporting they can not port GTK3 apps to GTK4 because they removed essential Desktop functionality...

we really need a port with the name GDK4 and the D stands for Desktop...

Comment

Working...
                      X