SiFive HiFive Premier P550 Announced As New RISC-V Developer Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Just get a Raspberry Pi 5 instead which is much, much, much cheaper and probably faster too.

This thing doesn't got GPU, audio, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, M.2 slot, SATA, or anything.
    OK. Well half of that is just wrong. You can literally see M.2 and SATA ports on the board in the picture. It certainly has audio. Seeing how their last two boards had that. You fix the lack of WiFi with a USB dongle and graphics with a cheap AMD GPU. It's also a lot faster than a Pi5.

Comment

Originally posted by LockedPotato View Post
      If it's $500 or less literally just take my money.
      there are better boards comming​, the milkv oasis with SG2380 (P670 cores) should be better performing then it

Just get a Raspberry Pi 5 instead which is much, much, much cheaper and probably faster too.

This thing doesn't got GPU, audio, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, M.2 slot, SATA, or anything.
      did you even bother reading? because it has most of these. and the P550 are A75 class cores. It should perform better then it.

Comment

This is very exciting! By far the biggest problem we have is not necessarily a lack of chips, its a lack of motherboards.

Obviously there is a long way to go(and this is only a dev board), but if we ever have any hopes of moving this way in the mainstream we will need options on the ATX front.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

there are better boards comming​, the milkv oasis with SG2380 (P670 cores) should be better performing then it
          There are always better boards coming around the corner. At some point you need to just buy one and stop waiting. Although my VisionFive2 keeps me satiated for the moment.

Comment

What is UFS...

Comment

Originally posted by LockedPotato View Post

There are always better boards coming around the corner. At some point you need to just buy one and stop waiting. Although my VisionFive2 keeps me satiated for the moment.
              yeah but right around the corner this time actually means it. by the time this board is shipping, the milkv oasis is slated to start soonish after

Comment

Some people doing comparisons here are also forgetting the supply situation. Competitors got years in which they developed mainboard chips like controllers which are crucial components in the ecosystem. You can not simply develop RISC-V cores but you need compatible sub chips on the motherboard too like for example compatible pcie chips. This needs time. If you want some finished products without much exploring then buy an older but mature arm SoM. And If you really want to tinker, explore and try out new stuff then go RISC-V.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
                  What is UFS...
                  1) Where do you see that?
                  2) You've heard of google, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

did you even bother reading? because it has most of these. and the P550 are A75 class cores. It should perform better then it.
                    Yeah, I read the article and didn't mention anything about Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, SATA or M.2.

Cortex-A75 is very old, it is from 2017, it more than half a decade old.
                    Performing better than Cortex-A75 is not impressive. It is lame.

Comment

Yeah, I read the article and didn't mention anything about Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, SATA or M.2.

Cortex-A75 is very old, it is from 2017, it more than half a decade old.
                      Performing better than Cortex-A75 is not impressive. It is lame.
                      Yes it's older, but the A75's are only marginally worse then A76's in many tasks. However you have double the ram, LPDDR5 ram at that. the RPI5 has no NPU, I can't comment on the gpu

also below is what is said, I think this adequately covers pretty much everything you listed
                      Expansion Capabilities

x16 PCIe® Gen 3 Expansion Slot
                      M.2 E-Key Slot (PCIe Gen 3) for Wi-Fi/Bluetooth Module
                      SATA3 connector (6Gb/s)

Comment

Working...
                      X