Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Announces Axion ARM-Based CPUs For The Cloud

Phoronix: Google Announces Axion ARM-Based CPUs For The Cloud

Similar to Amazon AWS and Microsoft Azure spinning their own Arm-based processors for their data centers, Google Cloud today announced the Google Axion Processors that will be available in the future...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does this benefit the consumer/producer? I think RISC-V will benefit more than ARM. I hope high end RISC-V CPUs and SoCs appear someday. I'm disappointed with ARM, sincerely.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      Does this benefit the consumer/producer? I think RISC-V will benefit more than ARM. I hope high end RISC-V CPUs and SoCs appear someday. I'm disappointed with ARM, sincerely.
      How exactly will RV be more beneficial for the end user than ARM?

Comment

There is zero benefit to consumers. None of these companies promotes the creation of ATX boards(emphasis on multiple) for ARM.(nor do they produce any in-house for consumers) I too am disappointed because of this.

I hope motherboards will appear someday. Having just a chip in hand is utterly useless and prevents a RISC-V or ARM future.

Comment

Well the main benefit is to the cloud provider (Google) which can lower their costs by more efficient computation which uses less power and less cooling. To entice the cloud customers to use their ARM machines instead of x86 they might offer them at a lower price.

Comment

Scientists are going to have to find more subatomic particles. folks are running out of names

Comment

While EndeavourOS​ drops arm support, maybe due to DE/freedesktop/redhat/ibm ... cloud is not using DEs, and IBM compeets with arm...

Comment

More competition is always good. However, I'm not sure how much "innovation" is happening here since they're using pre-existing core designs. It largely seems to be cost reduction vs. buying other manufacturer's CPUs.

Comment

Does it have advanced enterprise platform features such as data mining or injecting ads straight into user's encrypted data?

Originally posted by AmericanLocomotive View Post
                  More competition is always good. However, I'm not sure how much "innovation" is happening here since they're using pre-existing core designs. It largely seems to be cost reduction vs. buying other manufacturer's CPUs.

I don't think they are doing this to improve the competitive landscape LOL, they are doing it to increase their profits and get things their way. Which doesn't have a track record f putting people's best interest at heart.
                  Last edited by ddriver; 09 April 2024, 01:28 PM.

Comment

It’s insane that Oracle has somehow squandered everything they got from their purchase of Sun.

example would be using Solaris with new Sparcs cpus.

Comment

Working...
                    X