Arm Cortex-M85 Enablement Makes It Into GCC 13 With PACBTI Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arm Cortex-M85 Enablement Makes It Into GCC 13 With PACBTI Support

Phoronix: Arm Cortex-M85 Enablement Makes It Into GCC 13 With PACBTI Support

The Armv8.1-M based Cortex-M85 processor support has made it into the GCC 13 compiler for this highest performing Cortex-M processor use for MCUs and embedded applications...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Interesting to see ARM being forced to compete again in this space by the RISC-V ecosystem, but I have to imagine their customers will not forget how ARM neglected them up to this point lol.

Comment

What would a typical usecase be for such a high performing Cortex-M?
      Wouldn't most things that want that computing power run a Cortex-A and some sensible OS?
      Or run the Cortex-A with a non-existent translation (I think it can be done?).
      Just curious.

Comment

"What would a typical usecase be for such a high performing Cortex-M?
        Wouldn't most things that want that computing power run a Cortex-A and some sensible OS?
        Or run the Cortex-A with a non-existent translation (I think it can be done?).
        Just curious."​

I would think it is because more and more small devices are demanding more and more data in situ and not necessarily connected to the cloud_ (although in many cases will have access to it)_ and said data is for A.I. compute while still requiring to meet strict thermal and power restrictions. Plus, the automotive world is becoming more and more a tech hub than just an electro-mechanical grease monkey internal combustion engine fraternity. I could see just the ECM(s)_ (Electronic Control Module)_alone of the future automobile needing to be as powerful as this new M class ARM offering.

Just as in Dune where the Spice must flow, so too does data. And likewise as Spice can be used to not only make a type of coffee but also can be processed to make the Guild Navigator who can bend spacetime, so too the ever more prodigious amounts of data we require to make even the smallest objects....smart. For better or worse.

Comment

Working...
        X