Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD EPYC 9554 & EPYC 9654 Benchmarks - Outstanding Performance For Linux HPC/Servers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fingers crossed on Project X getting us AMD CPUs and GPUs bootstrapped with FOSS and management engines disabled!

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
      All I got to say is wow!
      Indeed. Greenland is gonna hate these thermals but holy shucking fit those numbers are off the damn charts. I was expecting a little uplift over consumer Zen4 but I don't think I've ever seen such dramatic numbers for a new gen server grade CPU. Wow is an understatement.

So you guys think somewhere a cash register is ringing and Google is already gobbling these puppies up?

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
        Wow, Intel is basically game over in the server space.
        Maybe. Maybe not. I think thermals are gonna put some folks off since these are gonna need some more thought put into existing cooling setups even if you can mess with the TDP wattage tolerances. 400W is still hella hot.

You could literally run it off the lower TDP setting for a while until purchasing puts through the PO for an A/C upgrade. If the electric bill goes up as a consequence some orgs might just hold off until they have a clearer picture of financials in the next 2 quarters.

People need to get them in their hands so the tweaking for perf / thermals can begin. Michael tested with 6.0.0-060000rc3daily20220904-generic but I'm sure we'll see better perf from 6.1 onward. Exciting stuff though!

Comment

Originally posted by kozman View Post

Maybe. Maybe not. I think thermals are gonna put some folks off since these are gonna need some more thought put into existing cooling setups even if you can mess with the TDP wattage tolerances. 400W is still hella hot.

You could literally run it off the lower TDP setting for a while until purchasing puts through the PO for an A/C upgrade. If the electric bill goes up as a consequence some orgs might just hold off until they have a clearer picture of financials in the next 2 quarters.

People need to get them in their hands so the tweaking for perf / thermals can begin. Michael tested with 6.0.0-060000rc3daily20220904-generic but I'm sure we'll see better perf from 6.1 onward. Exciting stuff though!
          You're completely missing the big picture or are intentionally painting a misleading picture. Thermals are lower with these cpus. You can literally replace a rack with half a rack for the same performance meaning half the thermal output. You don't design around what you have now, you design around what performance you need and this is fast enough to lower power demands quite a lot. You can now run a 5MW DC at 3 or 4MW, that's realized carbon emissions down and cooler data centers.

Comment

Unless Intel comes up with more than 2x performance leap, I think AMD will continue to dominate.

Comment

Originally posted by kozman View Post
              Sapphire Rapids top-end has 350W TDP. If the server chips do similar things to the consumer chips, they'll exceed that by a significant margin when boosting.

Comment

Originally posted by JosiahBradley View Post

You're completely missing the big picture or are intentionally painting a misleading picture. Thermals are lower with these cpus. You can literally replace a rack with half a rack for the same performance meaning half the thermal output. You don't design around what you have now, you design around what performance you need and this is fast enough to lower power demands quite a lot. You can now run a 5MW DC at 3 or 4MW, that's realized carbon emissions down and cooler data centers.
                No, I know this. Looking at these numbers it shows one Genoa rack can easily replace two or three Zen 3 era server racks so in the end there is savings to be had...except for the initial up front investment cost of replacement which doesn't give a quick return on investment. And the redundancy factor. You always have to have backup. But the price tag may restrict those whose budgets might limit trading up to Genoa. The bean counters may have their reservations is all I'm saying. For the crowd still plugging along on Zen 2 era gear, for sure one Genoa rack would probably replace half a dozen Zen 2 era racks or more so for those folks it makes sense if budget permits. The inflation thing might still keep orgs from upgrading just yet. Remember that some fiscal years started July 1st, others start Jan 1st so they may wait to see the cost benefit analysis from other orgs before pitching to the bean counters.

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
                  Ok - I think we can agree... that's more processor power than any normal person needs. You'll need to be doing something pretty insane to need this...

...and in five years' time it'll be running in a phone... ...and my desktop will still feel sluggish...
                  It's funny, because in 2018 I was blown away by the 2990WX. This thing was an absolute game changer for me, and my favourite thing ever.

Then the 5950x came out, and is much faster for certain workloads with HALF the core count, and consumes much less power. Crazy crazy times.

It's a great processor for things like data analysis, where splitting it across multiple machines slows things down and you might have limited space/want less servers.

Comment

Very strong performance from amd. And they still have the v-cache option around the corner.

Also, making a power efficiency argument in favor of intel is nothing short of entirely laughable...

"Yeah lets buy something that's far worse value and much, much slower, because it is rated at 50 watts less" said literally no one with even half a brain ever...

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
                      Ok - I think we can agree... that's more processor power than any normal person needs. You'll need to be doing something pretty insane to need this...

...and in five years' time it'll be running in a phone... ...and my desktop will still feel sluggish...
                      These aren't for personal use. They are for high end servers

Comment

Working...
                      X