Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Core i9 9900K Linux Benchmarks - 15-Way Intel/AMD Comparison On Ubuntu 18.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stargazer View Post
    Michael, as the ability to multitask increases and people do more simultaneously with their systems, have you thought about setting up benchmarks with multiple tasks in parallel? So for instance, web browsing to multiple sites (stored locally to eliminate network variability) with concurrent download and unzip of a zip file while a music or video player is running all while an antivirus is scanning in the background. That might be a more meaningful comparison for modern concurrency and usage of CPUs than single application stress tests. I think it might also provide some additional differentiation between AMD and Intel due to the higher context switching in this sort of scenario.
    I have a docker density benchmark in the works as a new PTS module.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I have a docker density benchmark in the works as a new PTS module.
      Not quite sure how that would match up to the typical user type scenario I outlined, but I'll look forward to seeing it and understanding. Thanks!

Comment

Long story short: Intel has a very mature 14nm process which can be clocked very aggressively (and potentially a very limited IPC advantage still). The Power figures from anandtech someone posted illustrate, how aggressive the clocking is. All in all, it is somewhat faster but not by leaps and bounds. At the same time, the CPU (and also the whole system) cost is much higher. This CPU is mostly a marketing release IMHO.

Comment

Hope that Intel have more cards than that.

Don't forget that we might get 12 and 16 cores Zen2 chips (Ryzen 3xxx) in less than a year.

Last time Intel Released a nice surprise, the i9's, AMD did announce officially there Threadripper like 2 weeks after. Now the question is will AMD will make there Zen2 offering official and will they release faster.

Comment

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post
            Long story short: Intel has a very mature 14nm process which can be clocked very aggressively (and potentially a very limited IPC advantage still). The Power figures from anandtech someone posted illustrate, how aggressive the clocking is. All in all, it is somewhat faster but not by leaps and bounds. At the same time, the CPU (and also the whole system) cost is much higher. This CPU is mostly a marketing release IMHO.
            I'm an AMD fanboy and an Intel hater, but I think you're underselling this. The time when a 50% jump across the board happened quickly is long gone.

And what we can't do as AMD fans is keep adjusting the target. It's dishonest. "Intel doesn't compete because they don't offer 16 threads for under $1000!" Intel releases a 16 thread part for $500, and now suddenly we are yelling, "Intel doesn't compete because it's $200 more than an AMD part, and the motherboard costs more, and it doesn't come with a CPU cooler!" I am sure the number of i9 buyers just grew.

On the bright side, I expect Ryzen 7 and Threadripper prices to drop to compensate. Woo hoo!

Comment

Any 4k, 30fps, x265, crf 28, preset slow, encoding benchmark?

Would be useful for people wanting to shrink down camera recording without visible quality loss.

Comment

Very nice work Michael!

I'm not surprised at the AMD higher power figures but I don't see it as a huge issue as we are testing a new release against an older release. It will be very interesting to see processors from AMD built on TSMC technology. In any event it is good to see competition spurring Intel along.

AMD going to TSMC makes me wonder what will happen to Global, that is a sad situation.

Comment

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post
                  When fed optimized code, zen has higher ipc than current intel *lake cpus (I've seen 3,5 (zen) vs 3 (kaby lake) reported by "perf" on a special testcase compiled with clang). But intel still has better memory controller (lower overall latency) and much more refined power management, coupled with a very mature manufacturing process (and better chipsets. the amd ones are meh at best, especially the asmedia usb controllers are garbage).

Comment

Originally posted by tichun
                    There ought to be timed gentoo compilation benchmark.
                    When I read the announcement of the 9900k that was my first thought, too. Finally a mainstream CPU that I would make me switch to Gentoo.

Comment

@Michael Did your perf per dollar take into account that you needed to buy/supply a cooler too ?

The 9900k in the UK is silly money, £620 and that's with no cooler
                      2700x with cooler is tad under £300 .

Comment

Working...
                      X