Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

16-Way Graphics Card Comparison With Radeon On ROCm, NVIDIA With Initial 2018 Linux Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16-Way Graphics Card Comparison With Radeon On ROCm, NVIDIA With Initial 2018 Linux Drivers

Phoronix: 16-Way Graphics Card Comparison With Radeon On ROCm, NVIDIA With Initial 2018 Linux Drivers

Towards the end of December AMD quietly released ROCm 1.7.60 as the newest version of their Radeon Open Compute stack complete with their maturing OpenCL implementation. With the improvements there plus NVIDIA recently introducing their 390 Linux driver series (390.12 Beta currently), I ran some fresh Linux OpenCL GPU compute benchmarks on a variety of AMD and NVIDIA graphics cards for those curious how the current performance stacks up.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Got ROCm running nicely on Ubuntu 17.10 together with the mesa drivers for my R9 Fury a few days ago. Wasn't sure it would work on a non LTS release but it actually did this time (it didn't when I tried it on 17.04 about six months back). Just had to disable the Ubuntu dock since it caused some issues together with the ROCm kernel module, but apart from that it's all good. Running ethminer at 28Mh/s for a few days now and it's stable. I guess that's also pretty good performance although I don't have much mining experience.

Edit: Oh! I just noticed the kernel module had added support for HDMI/DP audio output despite running on a stock Ubuntu 4.13 kernel. Nice bonus, so thanks AMD developers
    Last edited by Brisse; 18 January 2018, 06:57 PM.

Comment

ROCm 1.7 also failed to run the Darktable RAW phtography
      error

Comment

Nice to see FAHbench starting to be used in benchmarks... would be nice if it was tested with the processors too, but I'm certainly not complaining :3

Comment

I am also liking the FAHbench results. Thanks

Comment

Two things:
            1) I love the FAH benchmark
            2) Such a pity that ROCM doesn't work with darktable and F@H
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Debian unstable got a new xserver-xorg-video-intel after more than a year. Wonder if they gonna switch back to the intel driver from modesetting.

Comment

Wow, pretty cool. I guess as soon as everything is upstreamed, it will be easy to iron out remaining bugs. Can't wait to see more Raven Ridge ultabooks appear on the market, with perfect out of the box linux support! Especially when doing photo work on laptops, OpenCL should be a great win.

Comment

Does Blender work with ROCm?

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                    2) Such a pity that ROCM doesn't work with darktable and F@H
                    Crossing fingers and hoping that by the time ROCm enters mainstream vanilla kernel (4.17 as speculated by Michael), the AMD folks will have time to iron out things a bit and get it into better working shape with more support (Darktable, F@H, others).

Comment

Working...
                    X