X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by fuzz View Post
    Though the kernel patches are hardly Ubuntu specific.
    Yeah, there must have been some screwup on the Ubuntu maintainer side, which is why I am/was flaming Ubuntu.

Leave a comment:

• fuzz
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Uh no. His link was talking about a backporting issue on the Ubuntu side.
    Patches to workaround Meltdown/Spectre are not supposed to break the kernel and make it unbootable.
    Ah I didn't even click the link. I assumed it was people crapping on Ubuntu 17.10 for an Intel problem again. Apologies.

Though the kernel patches are hardly Ubuntu specific.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by fuzz View Post
    It's an Intel problem though, not specific to Ubuntu.
    Uh no. His link was talking about a backporting issue on the Ubuntu side.
    Patches to workaround Meltdown/Spectre are not supposed to break the kernel and make it unbootable.

Leave a comment:

• fuzz
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Your main issue is that you are using Ubuntu, please stop.
    It's an Intel problem though, not specific to Ubuntu.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
    100%
    Back to typewriter then.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/canon...s-519320.shtml

That's why I only use LTS releases. Bwahahaha
    Your main issue is that you are using Ubuntu, please stop.

Leave a comment:

• dillon
    replied
    Spectre does not require shared memory mappings and is not limited to just within the current process. Spectre is an attack which tricks the victim into speculatively executing code within its own memory domain in a way that allows the attacker to figure out the contents of memory in the Victim's domain. The attacker accomplishes this by passing data to the victim through normal APIs and by massaging data and branch caches such that it can detect whether the speculative execution occurred or not via timing.

So there are only really three requirements for a Spectre attack: (1) A normal API / IPC mechanism to communicate with the victim, and (2) Knowledge of code paths in the victim that might be vulnerable to speculative execution based on arguments and data the Attacker supplies through the API / IPC mechanism, and (3) That the code the victim winds up executing speculatively can be leveraged by the attacker's arguments to address any memory location within the Victim's address space.

The most common spectre attack that we are likely to see in the near future will be a Javascript attack against the browser. This is indeed an attack that stays within the process. It's the easiest Spectre attack vector so that is what we are likely to see first. But Spectre itself is not limited to just the current process.

If you use chrome, use the experimental --site-per-process option to reduce the impact.

-Matt

Leave a comment:

• Kayote
    replied
    Microsoft released a powershell script to check if you have the meltdown/spectre updates https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...erabilities-in

What updates are needed on LInux
    kernel > 4.14.11, 4.15rc6 (check)
    updated ucode intel, ucode amd, kernel firmware (check)

what else is necessary?
    Last edited by Kayote; 05 January 2018, 08:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Kayote
    replied
    yes as I understand it's not actually disabling it just exposing it??

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by hansg View Post
    In another process? That's the thing - how does this cross the process boundary?
    spectre requires shared memory mapping. most software can not be affected

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by Kayote View Post
    can someone test if disabling branch prediction hurts cpu mining??
    I've heard back from AMD.... At least this PR person is saying: . “Disabling branch prediction” is definitely not an accurate description and we are working to address with SUSE now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X