X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RavFX
    replied
    Originally posted by xiando View Post
    I guess that's some good news while we wait for kernel bug #196683 to be fixed. Temperature readings is kind of a moot point when Ryzen CPU systems randomly hang in kernels 4.13+ - it really makes Ryzen's unfit and unusable for GNU/Linux.

DisplayPort and HDMI audio for AMD GPUs is nice, though. I'm still (ab)using SPDIF carrying AC3 (alsa plugin) on a 16 year old surround receiver due to the lack of support for anything better.
    It crash on 4.13+ thanks to Intel, but you can fix it:
    First, you need to be sure RCU_NOCB_CPU enabled in the kernel
    Thanks to Intel patch that then pushed an other maintainer to remove CONFIG_RCU_NOCB_CPU_ALL, automatic workaround is not possible anymore in distrib using 4.13+ but you can still apply the workaround by adding a boot parameter "rcu_nocbs=0-X" where X = number of thread-1 (so, 15 for a Ryzen 7).

Once the Fix applied, weird video artefacting on your RX if you have one and crash that append mostly on idle will got away. And you will be able to turn C6 back to enabled in the BIOS without extras crashing.

Leave a comment:

• torsionbar28
    replied
    Originally posted by xiando View Post
    DisplayPort and HDMI audio for AMD GPUs is nice, though. I'm still (ab)using SPDIF carrying AC3 (alsa plugin) on a 16 year old surround receiver due to the lack of support for anything better.
    Most 16 year old receivers support SPDIF audio better than HDMI audio anyways. I had an old Sony receiver where the HDMI audio would randomly drop, but the SPDIF interface worked perfectly. Others reported the same, and it was believed to be a bug in an early version of HDMI, I think v1.1.
    Last edited by torsionbar28; 18 November 2017, 10:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• xiando
    replied
    I guess that's some good news while we wait for kernel bug #196683 to be fixed. Temperature readings is kind of a moot point when Ryzen CPU systems randomly hang in kernels 4.13+ - it really makes Ryzen's unfit and unusable for GNU/Linux.

Leave a comment:

• Iperpido
    replied
    Ryzen and R9 fury user here. waiting for it

Leave a comment:

• Linux 4.15 Is A Huge Update For Both AMD CPU & Radeon GPU Owners

Phoronix: Linux 4.15 Is A Huge Update For Both AMD CPU & Radeon GPU Owners

Linux 4.15 is shaping up to be a massive kernel release and we are just half-way through its merge window period. But for AMD Linux users especially, the 4.15 kernel release is going to be rocking...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X