Trying Out Microsoft Visual Studio Code On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by swoorup View Post
    Why all the hate? This is a good sign that Microsoft does consider Linux users too. So you want Microsoft to steer away from Linux? People complain that they don't have as good IDE as Visual Studio on linux. And now you are complaining because Microsoft released something for linux and just merely speculate its based off atom.

Even if you do so, why don't you do it without any proof. Go hack, reverse engineer the tool check the function names, and check if they match with atom. Either way, you have no point.

This is a very good initiative. I am not complaining that its proprietary. You have the choice to go with other tools that are open source if you want to. There is no need to bash Microsoft, noone is forcing anything upon you,.
    The last 25+ years of Microsoft history is what makes people anxious, and rightfully so.

And, once Microsoft has "secured" the boot process even they can go open source, because there will be no competition left.

Believe whatever you want, but I don't trust them.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
      Actually thinking about it, both the possessive and contracted form being it's is the most correct because neither would overlap due to being the dichotomous is a vs has a relationship
      Okay looking at the pronoun rules they doesn't use the apostrophe, but all the same It's vs Its is innocuous as the meaning is carried regardless.

Comment

Dat interface

Do they even pay their programmers and UI designers? I would assume that probably not.

I was under the impression that "windows 8 metro UI" looked bad.

Links web browser looks more modern than this IDE thingy... whatever it is.

Comment

Originally posted by lunarcloud View Post
          This editor is based off of GitHub's Atom, and it's Linux support is just as terrible.
          Why do all these Node.JS/Chrom(e/ium) app container applications have to suck so badly?
          Because it can never be remotely compared to anything native. It will always suck.

Comment

Originally posted by efikkan View Post
            Because it can never be remotely compared to anything native. It will always suck.
            Native? Everything is built through many libraries, languages, frameworks, and abstractions.

PyCharm is my favorite Python IDE. It uses a lot of Java.

Most video games use tons of middleware written in dozens of languages and frameworks. As long as the end products works well, end users don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by DanLamb View Post
              Native? Everything is built through many libraries, languages, frameworks, and abstractions.

PyCharm is my favorite Python IDE. It uses a lot of Java.

Most video games use tons of middleware written in dozens of languages and frameworks. As long as the end products works well, end users don't care.
              Thumbs up for PyCharm. I've been using it for a year now (free professional edition via a student licence) and absolutely love it.

Comment

Nutella has seen the light at the end of the tunnel...

... and it's got the penguin train steaming right into him! Joking aside - I've said this over and over again and I will keep saying it until hopefully one day it becomes true... Microsoft has a real opportunity to pull a coup d'etat on the operating system market. Before that ever comes to pass, Windows must die, pure and simple. Maybe not instant death, but a Rosetta kind of death.... Whether that means virtualizing Windows to run inside KVM, Hyper-V, Xen, WINE (probably best choice) or what have you... by either pulling this effort off themselves or by unleashing the NT kernel sources on the world minus the (proprietary) drivers and recruiting the world's programmers and enthusiasts to help with the porting process, it doesn't matter - it must happen so that Microsoft can have a clean, a la OS 9 -> OS X kind of transition toward a stable, unix like operating system.

Once this paradigm shift takes place at Microsoft - first OS X can eat s**t and die, and second, the desktop operating system market will once and for all be free, i.e. commoditized. All this crap can be cobbled/integrated together Jobs style by Nadela, only if he has the nutsack for it to stand up to the board/shareholders and make the case.

Linux being Linux - no one owns it outright and everyone defends it, so for all intents and purposes, it is legally unassailable (gnugnugnungugplgplgplgpl!).

These are small steps in the right direction... the big one is yet to come.
                Last edited by MartinN; 06 May 2015, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pecisk View Post
                  Microsoft releases rather poor looking .NET based port of their application which does absolutely zero more than editors we already have [...]
                  Not true. Mono was restrictively licensed and "legally ambiguous". Microsoft's release ends the FUD. Now .NET is much freer than Java. Looking forward to the *BSD ports.

Comment

Originally posted by Pecisk View Post
                    Microsoft releases rather poor looking .NET based port of their application which does absolutely zero more than editors we already have on Linux (yeah, even including that awesome Mono editor), gets free press and praise from some naive members of community - KA CHING!

Seems they are just using same old tricks, dressed differently. Color me surprised. NOT.
                    This quote has aged terribly lol.

Comment

Working...
                    X