X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jasonjulius1122
    replied
    Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

And Firefox is often preferred over Google Chrome for its richer extensions API, the ability to customize its GUI using userChrome.css, its better handling of very large numbers of open tabs, and an extensions repository less forgiving of user-tracking shenanigans than Google's.

Many people choose Firefox over Google Chrome because it offers a wide range of extensions, allows customization of the user interface using userChrome.css, handles multiple open tabs efficiently, and has stronger privacy protections against user tracking.

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by jasonjulius1122 View Post
    Hello, guys hope you all are well, I just want to say that Google Chrome is often preferred over Firefox due to its speed, efficiency, seamless integration with Google services, and user-friendly interface.
    And Firefox is often preferred over Google Chrome for its richer extensions API, the ability to customize its GUI using userChrome.css, its better handling of very large numbers of open tabs, and an extensions repository less forgiving of user-tracking shenanigans than Google's.

Leave a comment:

• jasonjulius1122
    replied
    Hello, guys hope you all are well, I just want to say that Google Chrome is often preferred over Firefox due to its speed, efficiency, seamless integration with Google services, and user-friendly interface.

Leave a comment:

• DanilArt
    replied
    Wow, is Firefox still relevant? That's the news of course.

Leave a comment:

• ArchLinux
    replied
    This is news.

Leave a comment:

• joe_kanew
    replied
    I am just asking because I have seen many comments like that google is more good as compared to Mozilla

Leave a comment:

• joe_kanew
    replied
    Is google providing more info as compared to Mozilla?

Leave a comment:

• joe_kanew
    replied
    I want to ask a random question from you what is best in your view, Mozilla or google?

Leave a comment:

• Citan
    replied
    Originally posted by joopbraak View Post
    What reason is there nowadays to still use Firefox on Linux?
    There's Chromium, or even Chromium-ungoogled if you wanna be totally detached from Google.
    Both work splendidly on Linux, and have just as much (or more) extensions as Firefox (OK, for Chromium-ungoogled some simple tweaks are necessary to install and update an extension). And they're faster and more stable.
    Not trolling, just genuinely interested.
    Honestly? Every.
    From the most "user-centric, egotistical" reasons to the most "help world be better" ones...

- Chrome is still shitty enough to not have a proper way of handling tabs (only one extension being like 10% of what Tree Style Tabs provide). And unless your browsing is limited to "check the same 5-10 sites every day", the classic horizontal single-bar is absolutely not enough.

- Chrome has the robustness under load of a 140-year old granny... Yeah, not much. Starts being laggy/hiccupy past 30-40 tabs depending on the level of shittiness (code-wise) of the websites you consult. Becomes unresponsive or crashes before the 100 mark. Although I usually keep number of tabs around 200 pike over a day, it happens quite often in the most intensive weeks to need to keep lots of "backplate tabs" to process later, so my session ramps up to 400-500 easily middle of week. Firefox loads that in a matter of seconds and sustains easily. For kicks I let myself snowball two weeks to see "how far it could go", went up to 1200 tabs session... And Firefox still took it in (Tree Style Tabs struggled a bit though xd).

- Firefox still has an ecosystem of extensions far superior to Chrome overall. Of course everyone don't need all of them, and actually most people don't use most than a handful ones that probably exist similarly on both browsers (tabs excepted). Still, it's extremely pleasant whenever you have some need, either niche or standard, to know that someone probably was kind enough to make an extension for that.

- Firefox is really close to Chrome in rendering speed. Sure, "dick competition" tests show off differences, but most of them are completely irrelevant in actual, daily life browsing. Because (sadly) more and more websites are not optimized (or even "counter-optimised" if you see what I mean) so the computation differences are all overrun by the time you're simply waiting for resources to load or things like that.

- You keep competition and diversity in browsing's ecosystem: it's better for technological advancement (different ways to tackle problems), it's better for societal stability (you *really* don't want a single company holding all keys to a critical aspect of IT). And it's even more important right now that we actually start living in such a world, with more and more people developing for Chrome only using half-baked libraries of half-thought custom code causing problems in Firefox. We're seriously on the verge of going back to the dark age of "one browser to rule them all", and the fact it's Google instead of Microsoft this time around isn't an improvement.

- You support a team that pushed through and overthrew Internet Explorer by the sheer quality of its product, instead of supporting an entity that used the exact same border-illegal techniques to propagate its browser (ninja-install when users installs a completely unrelated free software, forcing the "sets as defaults", etc).
    Last edited by Citan; 19 May 2022, 05:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by joopbraak View Post
    What reason is there nowadays to still use Firefox on Linux?
    There's Chromium, or even Chromium-ungoogled if you wanna be totally detached from Google.
    Both work splendidly on Linux, and have just as much (or more) extensions as Firefox (OK, for Chromium-ungoogled some simple tweaks are necessary to install and update an extension). And they're faster and more stable.
    Not trolling, just genuinely interested.
    1. Firefox's WebExtensions API was a superset of the Chrome/Chromium extension API, even before Google decided to "improve" it in ways ad-blocking extensions lamented as making it more difficult for them to do their jobs.
    2. Firefox has about:config, which lets you do things like re-enabling display of http:// in the address bar
    3. While not as versatile as traditional extensions, Firefox still has userChrome.css, which can be used to achieve UI customizations that would require patching and recompiling Chromium.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X