Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help for choosing a new all-around laptop - Linux support for GPU

Hi all!

I hope this is the right section, since it isn't entirely GPU-focused didn't seem adequate to put it there...

So, context: my 2017 latop died, and cost of repair is the price of a "lesser mid-range" laptop so out of question.
    I'm currently bearing on my 2012 laptop which, for its oldness and faults, has the big merit of being sturdy enough to stand through time. xd

I planned on waiting for next generation latops to come so I can get a Ryzen Apu AND USB4/Thunderbolt 3 support, but from the latest I've read it's very possible actual "external GPU on usb" support wouldn't come before even 2023. So more tempted to invest now.

My problem is that most laptops have Nvidia discrete GPU, and while I'm seriously considering a discrete GPU for gaming, I do want to get great battery life first and foremost. So here are my questions.

1/ Which vendors do allow, under Linux, to underclock / undervolt their GPU with some UI? Nvidia? AMD? Both? Neither?
    2/ Years ago, the nvidia's "prime system" to use or not discrete GPU was supported in a very clunky way under Linux. Is it better now? If not, do AMD provide better experience with its dedicated chips?
    3/ When you go full AMD (APU + GPU), do that allow any kind of "dual-use" that would boost graphical performance, or is it still just a binary choice for programs?

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide, and sorry if those were actually trivial questions to answer.
Working...
X