Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X265 encoding on Linux vs Windows, Why windows is faster?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X265 encoding on Linux vs Windows, Why windows is faster?!

Hello Everyone, I have always wanted to switch to linux as my main operation system but unfortunately each time I test it, its performance is lower than windows, so I have to always use it in VM or dualboot (need it for ML and some other minor things)

So I wanted to ask why is it like this? Each time phoronix publishes a post on windows vs linux, linux is faster!

Here is a simple test of handbrake:
    (This test was for my personal reference so, sorry about quality)

-freq+voltage offset+power limit are manually set in both (throttlestop and throttled)
    -handbrake version is the same version
    -kernel 5.13
    -For both mitigations are turned off.

Most likely because your Linux build of Handbrake is not optimized. Some default linux builds of applications do not have optimizations enabled in the compiler settings. It makes a HUGE difference. If you compile handbrake yourself from source code, with compiler optimizations enabled, it will be at least as fast as windows.

Comment

Originally posted by mike.9823428 View Post
      Most likely because your Linux build of Handbrake is not optimized. Some default linux builds of applications do not have optimizations enabled in the compiler settings. It makes a HUGE difference. If you compile handbrake yourself from source code, with compiler optimizations enabled, it will be at least as fast as windows.
      Hello and thank you.
      I actually compile handbrake for both windows and linux but I never knew there was an optimization setting, what is the command?
      I searched for it but didn't find anything.

And in linux when I turn off mitigations the performance barley changes (like 1 second in 7 minutes) but on windows the difference is huge (8.04 second vs 6.98) why is that?
      ​​​​​

Comment

I forgot to say Cpu is 9750H and I turn of mitigations with adding mitigations=off.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamyar View Post
          And in linux when I turn off mitigations the performance barley changes (like 1 second in 7 minutes) but on windows the difference is huge (8.04 second vs 6.98) why is that​
          The reality is simple. Linux kernel the security mitigation work does include complete kernel overhaul as options and this is done at times. So turning of spectre mitigation does not turn off the alterations to Linux that were done because of security faults found in the process of dealing with spectre. Yes windows with security mitigation off is a lot higher security risk than the Linux kernel because what were able to be generic security fixes to generic x86 platform design faults you have also removed when you turned the mitigation off with windows.

Comment

I read somewhere that Windows has a more optimized kernel compared to most default Linux distro's.

Perhaps try to switch to the xanmod kernel.
            It made a big difference for me (Fedora 34)

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
              I read somewhere that Windows has a more optimized kernel compared to most default Linux distro's.

Perhaps try to switch to the xanmod kernel.
              It made a big difference for me (Fedora 34)
              Yes xanmod makes a difference but last time I checked it had problems with optimus (I don't remember exactly what)

Comment

Working...
              X