Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Is Hiring More Linux Engineers For The Scheduler, Memory Management, Net I/O

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fenixex
    replied
    There are already a couple of GUIs to control AMD cards, but after a while each of them encounters the hardware bugs present years after the cards have been released. And each of them, instead of fixing those bugs, finds their own hacky way of getting around it so it think bridgman statement still stands.
    @smitty3268 7 months? It took them 4 years to support a basic feature such as 0rpm mode and it still has bugs.
    @microcode Changing AA, Vsync, tesselation, power, clock, colour profiles, VSR... but there's a twist.
    You do it with one click instead of writing a config file.
    Off-topic: the talk "What UNIX cost us" by Benno Rice explains perfectly why you would want that.

Leave a comment:

• krzyzowiec
    replied
    I love my 5900x + Radeon 6800 system. Excellent performance for a great price. I’m looking at a future AMD laptop to replicate the success, just waiting for something good with an RDNA2 GPU.

Originally posted by microcode
    Can any of you guys who are talking about these GUI gpu configurators tell me what they are useful for? I remember these things when I was using Windows as a kid, but I've not used one since I was a tween so I don't remember why anyone would want to...
    I have to agree. I never missed these useless GUIs when I left Windows. Most graphical settings will be changed per game from in-game menus.

Leave a comment:

• microcode
    replied
    Can any of you guys who are talking about these GUI gpu configurators tell me what they are useful for? I remember these things when I was using Windows as a kid, but I've not used one since I was a tween so I don't remember why anyone would want to...

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by Qaridarium

right... i really don't know what is the problem of creating a driver GUI...

in the past bridgman told us to create a driver gui before the driver has the hardware functionality is not worth doing it...

but today,,,, what kind of hardware functionality does the driver need to have to say the hardware side is finished so we can have a driver gui ?
    Well, they still don't support their hardware ray-tracing outside their proprietary driver 7 months after release, so I'd say that would be a start.

Leave a comment:

• ezst036
    replied
    Originally posted by Marco-GG View Post

Just like Intel I guess. I mean, they also have a Windows UI for their iGPUs that is not available on Linux.
    Yes, Intel too has seriously dropped the ball on this very important part of the graphics equation and I suspect once they get high performance video cards out the door complaints for control panels will increase to them. A person who drops a grand on a card is going to have that expectation. "Where is my control panel, this card was EXPENSIVE!"

Leave a comment:

• CommunityMember
    replied
    Originally posted by muncrief View Post
    Until AMD creates a GUI for Linux, we will always know they consider Linux users second or third class citizens.
    There is no need for a GUI for data center system management (command (line) integration with tools like ansible/puppet/chef matter). And no matter what one wishes, this year, and next year, and the year after that, is not the year of Linux on the desktop.

Leave a comment:

• ezst036
    replied
    Until AMD creates a GUI for Linux, we will always know they consider Linux users second or third class citizens.

Of course Nvidia is much, much, worse overall because they are closed source, but we shouldn't give AMD a pass for refusing to provide a Linux GUI. Especially now that they're finally making money again. With much of that due to the myriads of Linux users like me who supported them throughout their dark decade.
    Talk of AMD control panels or QT based control panels from AMD has been going on for years but nothing ever comes of it. It's very discouraging.

You should read some of the old comments.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'd be happy to receive the old control panel, just give us something!

Leave a comment:

• Charlie68
    replied
    Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
    >India
    This will be fun to watch.
    Why ? What problem do you have with the Indians? An engineer is good or bad regardless of nationality!

However, I am happy for this choice and I wish the newcomers good work.

Leave a comment:

• doomie
    replied
    GUI comes up again... Maybe someone ought to list the desired features, and then there can be an easily re-post-able comment detailing which ones won't work and why.

Leave a comment:

• Marco-GG
    replied
    Just like Intel I guess. I mean, they also have a Windows UI for their iGPUs that is not available on Linux.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X