Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    This is awful and very sad!
    But FFS, they should've listened to their users when they complained about the slow performance compared to Chromium, about less good support for HTML5, compared to Chromium
    Oh, that's what they should've done, they should've _listened_. Instead, they just spent a lot of money and effort doing their best to solve the problems you're referring to by creating a renderer. But that's obviously not as good as listening.

Comment

So, we are holding our breath waiting for fixes on their Firefox Android browser that they broke with the 'big change' 2 months ago.

Comment

Same with Web Assembly, they wasted so many resources for something that will be broken by design since many of us will block it anyway because of security reasons.
        I'm going to disagree on this point. Web Assembly > JavaScript, Flash, JRE or ActiveX.

Comment

The management in the Mozilla Foundation have no one else but themselves to blame for the situation they are at right now. The problem is the Covid19? Are you kiding me? That thing was a god send for internet related businesses.

Neglecting their core business, to invest in adventures like FIrefox OS and other stuff, cost them money and employee bloat they now have to cut.

Meanwhile Firefox is still behind Chrome in many aspects and their efforts on Android are laughable. I kid you not, you can't even read a old stile, pure HTML website in Firefox on Android, because the font is so small and it didn't have a simple auto zoom for that type of content. And they are blaming Covid for loss revenue, while they have miserable presence on a cash grab platform like Android?

Now go after political correctness supporters for more money. I'm sure they are the ones that will rescue them from this mess...
          Last edited by M@GOid; 11 August 2020, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
            Subbing in for tildearrow today who is on vacation.

typos:

Look please. I am not in vacation. (in? on? I don't know, do you get inside vacation or sit on it?)

The article was posted at 11am, and I was still sleeping at that time. But I get so frustrated when this happens.

You know, there is no vacation for me. So many things to deal with. Coding projects. A game server. A web server. 144Hz. uid313. My girlfriend. OpenRazer. The forums.

I don't follow Michael's schedule of sleeping 3 hours per day at random intervals. I do feel bad for him, but I cannot abort my sleep.

Michael why don't you sleep more for at least one day? You always post 10 articles per day somehow, regardless of circumstances.
            You could even post like 3 or 4 of them when you wake up, but seriously, you need a break.
            You already posted the hot threads, so we'll catch ourselves there while you rest.

OK, I am done. I won't read the articles Michael posted this morning. Please check them for me but I am done here.
            Last edited by tildearrow; 11 August 2020, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post

I'm going to disagree on this point. Web Assembly > JavaScript, Flash, JRE or ActiveX.
              Why would anyone use Flash, Java, Silverlight or even ActiveX today? Their names shouldn't be heard anymore; it's vendor lock-in and no web standard.

Comment

200 millions per year for their CEO last year, look at their priorities

Comment

I don't understand this hate towards Mozilla. Having your skeletons aired is better than having them hidden, because then you likely have a lot more as you got good at hiding your skeletons.
                  True, their browser isn't the fastest at everything, but the reason it's losing marketshare isn't performance, it's because chrome installs itself with so many other software. It's practically pre-installed on every android/windows device, so people already have it.
                  Furthermore, Google has proven themselves to be terrible custodians of your privacy, and they actively block efforts to make tracking more difficult.

You really have to be thankful that Firefox is so competitive, as it forces standards to be more open. You really gotta thank them for that, else we would have been living in binary blobbed NaCl or ActiveX applications that has more access to your system due to obscurity.

Comment

This is awful and very sad!
                    But FFS, they should've listened to their users when they complained about the slow performance compared to Chromium, about less good support for HTML5, compared to Chromium, about wasting resources in the wrong directions like VR, which I think represents only 0.0001% of their users.
                    Same with Web Assembly, they wasted so many resources for something that will be broken by design since many of us will block it anyway because of security reasons.

They lost too much marketshare, all because they don't listen to users that are screaming here and everywhere else for the real important things to fix.
                    I still don't know how could they have not understood that the performance is a top priority issue.
                    Not everybody has a high-end computer where the differences in speed between Firefox and Chromium based browsers are not really visible.
                    A lot of people have older computers, older operating systems, or bloated operating systems that make the computers slow anyway and the differences between Firefox and the others are not so subtle anymore.

I don't know, but Mozilla looked to me like Canonical all these past years.

Users complaining on deaf years.

At least they managed to bring video hardware decoding on Linux, which is very nice!
                    You do realize what they are up against right? They are the only ones preventing Google from owning the web and Google will abuse that if Firefox fails.

Comment

What will this mean for Rust?

Comment

Working...
                      X