Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The CUPS Printing System Lead Developer Has Left Apple, Begins Developing "LPrint"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by guildem View Post
    I'm sorry for the dumb question, but : why is Apache license a concern ? I thought this was a great open-source license, with freedom to use, modify and redistribute under the same license terms (no code stealing complain like BSD). So why it is "worse" than GPL ?
    if it is same as gpl, why change from gpl to apache? you should get a feeling that your original premise is wrong

Comment

Originally posted by jabl View Post
      His new "LPrint" is released under the, drumroll, Apache license after all.
      maybe it shares code with cups
      edit:
      LPrint is based loosely on the “ippeveprinter.c” and “rastertolabel.c” code from CUPS.
      Last edited by pal666; 04 February 2020, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        if it is same as gpl, why change from gpl to apache? you should get a feeling that your original premise is wrong
        I know this is not the same, and I said it (this is more efficient in discussion to read and understand the post before answering it).
        I always saw Apache as more "free" (as freedom) than GPL, so even if there is drawbacks, I'm not sure to understand why an employee would see that as a bad choice.
        Finally, reading the answers to this post, and interesting opinions, I don't think the new license will change anything to the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by guildem View Post
          I always saw Apache as more "free" (as freedom) than GPL, so even if there is drawbacks, I'm not sure to understand why an employee would see that as a bad choice.
          It's a question of free for who. There exist proprietary derivatives of Apache-licensed software like Apache web server and OpenOffice, so it's "free for a developer to keep their modifications proprietary". GPL is designed around "you're free to customize the software you received or go elsewhere for support."

Comment

Working...
          X