X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Etherman
    replied
    I'm back at 239. Got some d-bus error at login with 240.

Leave a comment:

• jacob
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    fedora is the major distro that releases the most often. though it is downstream who synchronises with upstream and systemd doesn't do time-based releases
    Fedora has releases every 6 months, sometimes lees often. That makes it almost, but not quite, as often as Ubuntu. Which BTW is too often in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Almindor View Post
    Apart for Kernel panics (which should be visible not opaque) and hardware failures I think it's clear that a blocked boot is an init system issue.
    FYI: what causes these types of "failures to boot" is some service that hangs or the init script/configuration that is wrong somehow but is tagged as critical, it's not a Systemd-only thing. It's just that systemd is the newer thing.

Most common mistake back then when it was new and people was still learning how to use it was adding a mount point in the fstab and not tagging it as "nofail". Then for some reason that drive is removed or you reformat or something, and systemd does not find that partition again on boot and blocks booting.

I like systemd myself, but if this happened to me I'd be contemplating a switch too.
    I actually troubleshooted the issues back then when systemd was new and some breakage was expected, and I'd do that again if I got breakage.

all the times I investigated it was 100% misconfigured crap, not a bug.

Systemd has bugs allright, but never had it hang or break hard on its own.

Leave a comment:

• Almindor
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Something else failed and systemd is just what you decided to blame.
    Apart for Kernel panics (which should be visible not opaque) and hardware failures I think it's clear that a blocked boot is an init system issue. I like systemd myself, but if this happened to me I'd be contemplating a switch too.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by frank007 View Post
    Already switched over. Good Luck.
    I don't give a shit. Good luck to you too, good sir.

Leave a comment:

• bnolsen
    replied
    I'm just switching from systemd to a different init system. I already experienced an unbootable system (doing nothing) because of it. That's all.
    I remember Sysvinit, I remeber how easy it was to manage, I remeber everythin, so I'm just switching over.
    Come join us who run voidlinux. My slowest spinning disk systems all boot to login in 13s or less. The nvme one goes all the way to desktop in about 8s. I want an init system, not a windows/osx system clone.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Already switched over. Good luck.
    lol, you have so little luck, you should ask for it, not offer it

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by doublez13 View Post
    With RedHat being the developers of both Systemd and Firewalld,
    redhat is not the developers of systemd

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    At the moment this is the situation. Do you like an "under heavy development" OS? Feel free to use it, I do not call you insane. I want a different solution, I am a simple "Linux user" (not a sysadmin), and I want to keep my data safe in the hard disks. That's all.
    so why did you choose an "under heavy development" os? and why did you choose to change its base system? this is not a task for "a simple linux user"?
    simple linux user will not blame systemd for anything, he does not have skills and knowledge to pinpoint root cause of failure, he will just blame distro. so you are something else, you still have no knowledge, but you already have crooked hands to screw your system and blame someone else

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    I already said all I wanted to say.
    if you are unhappy with replies, next time say it in front of mirror

Leave a comment:

Working...
X