Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google Still Doesn't Trust Linux GPU Drivers Enough To Enable Chrome Video Acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by Weasel View Post
    Who the fuck cares?

You said there's Windows for me. But no, there's Wine for me. I don't have to rely on piece of shit centralized repositories for my portable applications. Wine is such a much better experience on Linux than native Linux apps. You got a problem with that fact?

tl;dr Windows (Win32) is a great platform, much better than Linux userland (kernel is good too). But Windows is a pathetic OS especially Windows 10. So Linux as an OS with Win32 as platform (Wine) is the best of both worlds. I don't have to suffer braindamage and be "locked in" to the whims of centralized maintainers.
    And in the meantime you boot up to a linux distribution that simply wouldn't exist at all if not for package management. That's why I care, it's why you should care too, it's why we all should care. The problem is not package management, instead it's more fundamental, it's binary format. Whether elf can be extended or if it needs replaced is something way beyond me. In the mean time package management is the solution and has been from the beginning.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed_platform

Win32 has no control over applications.
    Win32 has no control over content.
    Win32 doesn't restrict you access to "non-approved applications or content" because there's nothing to approve.
    Win32 works in Wine.

in contrast...

Centralized Package Management restricts you access to "non-approved applications" which you must compile yourself from source or use PPAs, a pain in the ass.

Idiot.
    Your shaded lenses are showing....

Leave a comment:

• Weasel
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    Nope, just re-implementations of them....
    Who the fuck cares?

You said there's Windows for me. But no, there's Wine for me. I don't have to rely on piece of shit centralized repositories for my portable applications. Wine is such a much better experience on Linux than native Linux apps. You got a problem with that fact?

tl;dr Windows (Win32) is a great platform, much better than Linux userland (kernel is good too). But Windows is a pathetic OS especially Windows 10. So Linux as an OS with Win32 as platform (Wine) is the best of both worlds. I don't have to suffer braindamage and be "locked in" to the whims of centralized maintainers.
    Last edited by Weasel; 07 October 2018, 11:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Weasel
    replied
    You have now idea what the fuck you're talking about. MS made several walled gardens like win32, .net, visual studios, internet explorer, etc, in order to accomplish what wtf you are asking for on linux. retard.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed_platform

Originally posted by Wikipedia
    A closed platform, walled garden, or closed ecosystem[1][2] is a software system where the carrier or service provider has control over applications, content, and media, and restricts convenient access to non-approved applications or content. This is in contrast to an open platform, where consumers generally have unrestricted access to applications and content.
    Win32 has no control over applications.
    Win32 has no control over content.
    Win32 doesn't restrict you access to "non-approved applications or content" because there's nothing to approve.
    Win32 works in Wine.

in contrast...

Centralized Package Management restricts you access to "non-approved applications" which you must compile yourself from source or use PPAs, a pain in the ass.

Idiot.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    https://www.winehq.org/

No piece of shit walled garden centralized repositories needed.

You keep using that term. I don't think it means what you think it means.
    Nope, just re-implementations of them....

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Quote me where I said I broke my OS.

No I blame package management FOR EXISTING because if it did not exist then people would be FORCED to come up with a compatible and stable set of library interfaces that 3rd party developers must compile against. Otherwise, all we would have would be source-only distros like Gentoo.

There's nothing to maintain if there's no package management. You can't be that dense...?

The so-called "maintainer" of an app must ONLY be the developer himself and he must maintain ONE COMPILED VERSION on HIS WEBSITE. ONE compiled version, not one for each distro, but ONE version that works on ALL Linux PCs (with a given minimum version obviously, system requirements). Just like Mac or Windows or virtually any other desktop OS in existence.

And btw, this is also opinion of Linus Torvalds, so if you think I'm a retard for wanting this, then stop using his kernel and stop using Linux because you're a fucking free-loader whose opinion is virtually worthless.

Billions use their computers to download what they please and run what they want with Windows and have it "just work", including many Linux users like me with Wine -- so you are less than 0.1%

But yeah you are such an important drop in the bucket. Special snowflake.
    You have no idea what the fuck you're talking about. MS made several walled gardens like win32, .net, visual studios, internet explorer, etc, in order to accomplish wtf you are asking for on linux. retard.
    Last edited by duby229; 07 October 2018, 11:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Weasel
    replied
    If that's what you want then there is a product called Windows made just for you.
    https://www.winehq.org/

No piece of shit walled garden centralized repositories needed.

It has the walled garden and malware you like in plenty. dumbass.
    You keep using that term. I don't think it means what you think it means.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Clearly downloading an app from anywhere you please and having it just work is a "walled garden". Yes you might get malware, but getting malware is part of freedom, the freedom to fuck up and run whatever the fuck you want.

But instead a piece of shit centralized repository which limits your choice so you have to compile missing stuff yourself or add PPAs is "much more free" in your mind and totally opposite to "walled garden".

What a fucking retard.
    If that's what you want then there is a product called Windows made just for you. It has the walled gardens and malware you like in plenty. dumbass.
    Last edited by duby229; 07 October 2018, 11:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Weasel
    replied
    You break your OS
    Quote me where I said I broke my OS.

by working outside package management and then you blame package management that -you- broke it....
    No I blame package management FOR EXISTING because if it did not exist then people would be FORCED to come up with a compatible and stable set of library interfaces that 3rd party developers must compile against. Otherwise, all we would have would be source-only distros like Gentoo.

Fine, I'm damn glad I don't need to use shit that you maintain. Thank god... In the meantime, me and millions of other people have working systems and have for decades but you don't....
    There's nothing to maintain if there's no package management. You can't be that dense...?

The so-called "maintainer" of an app must ONLY be the developer himself and he must maintain ONE COMPILED VERSION on HIS WEBSITE. ONE compiled version, not one for each distro, but ONE version that works on ALL Linux PCs (with a given minimum version obviously, system requirements). Just like Mac or Windows or virtually any other desktop OS in existence.

And btw, this is also opinion of Linus Torvalds, so if you think I'm a retard for wanting this, then stop using his kernel and stop using Linux because you're a fucking free-loader whose opinion is virtually worthless.

Billions use their computers to download what they please and run what they want with Windows and have it "just work", including many Linux users like me with Wine -- so you are less than 0.1%

But yeah you are such an important drop in the bucket. Special snowflake.
    Last edited by Weasel; 07 October 2018, 10:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Weasel
    replied
    So what what you're really complaining about is that you want a walled garden and linux doesn't give that to you....
    Clearly downloading an app from anywhere you please and having it just work is a "walled garden". Yes you might get malware, but getting malware is part of freedom, the freedom to fuck up and run whatever the fuck you want.

But instead a piece of shit centralized repository which limits your choice so you have to compile missing stuff yourself or add PPAs is "much more free" in your mind and totally opposite to "walled garden".

What a fucking retard.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X