X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• garegin
    replied
    Originally posted by ownagefool View Post
    Xen and KVM are bare metal hypervisors, where virtual box is a hosted hypervisor. Doing your virtualization at application level is always going to be slower than at kernel level unless somethings really wrong.
    not only that. they are paravirtualization. the hardware doesn't have to be fully emulated. that's why I can run two guests on KVM or Hyper-V and the processor and the hard drive are not going crazy.

Leave a comment:

• n3wu53r
    replied
    So If I wanted to run a virtualized instance of Windows for windows-only software, what would be the best idea? I'm thinking vmware workstation, but I'm worried since fedora updates their kernels semi-frequently and things might break with the modules and I'll really need this machine to be reliable.
    Then again I could just put off updating the kernel for a bit until vmware has an update. Or even use a 3rd party patch.

Leave a comment:

• Ericg
    replied
    Originally posted by chrisb View Post
    It has VT-X but not VT-D. So virtualized performance should still be fine, you just can't directly access PCI devices etc.
    Oh? Thanks for the clarification, chris. Better than I thought it was then, thankfully.

Leave a comment:

• ownagefool
    replied
    Xen and KVM are bare metal hypervisors, where virtual box is a hosted hypervisor. Doing your virtualization at application level is always going to be slower than at kernel level unless somethings really wrong.

Leave a comment:

• chrisb
    replied
    Originally posted by Ericg View Post
    Its also important to note that "K-Series" Intel CPU's don't support the virtualization extensions anymore so these tests are being done at a nice big performance penalty regardless of anything done wrong in Michael's software configuration.
    It has VT-X but not VT-D. So virtualized performance should still be fine, you just can't directly access PCI devices etc.

Leave a comment:

• Ericg
    replied
    Originally posted by liam View Post
    Note to all: remember he doesn't mess with the knobs (heh). Only tests with default settings. So, for these benchmarks, KVM and Xen seemed to be better out of the box than the VB, though I don't know that I've ever seen computational benchmarks where VB beats either of the other two. KVM, for one, could have enabled the host cpu settings for advanced instructions instead of being stuck with sse2 (IIRC), and that should've sped up some of the benchmarks.
    Its also important to note that "K-Series" Intel CPU's don't support the virtualization extensions anymore so these tests are being done at a nice big performance penalty regardless of anything done wrong in Michael's software configuration.

Leave a comment:

• artivision
    replied
    I really don't understand those useless benchmarks. If you want to do a real VM benchmark, then test "qemu wine simple3D_game.exe" on ARM-Linux SoCs.

Leave a comment:

• liam
    replied
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Intel Haswell Linux Virtualization: KVM vs. Xen vs. VirtualBox

The latest chapter to our lengthy Intel Haswell on Linux saga is virtualization benchmarks. From Fedora 19 with the very latest software components for Linux virtualization, the performance of KVM, Xen, and VirtualBox were benchmarked from the Intel Core i7 4770K "Haswell" CPU.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=18888
    Note to all: remember he doesn't mess with the knobs (heh). Only tests with default settings. So, for these benchmarks, KVM and Xen seemed to be better out of the box than the VB, though I don't know that I've ever seen computational benchmarks where VB beats either of the other two. KVM, for one, could have enabled the host cpu settings for advanced instructions instead of being stuck with sse2 (IIRC), and that should've sped up some of the benchmarks.

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    Michael,

There's something terribly wrong with your VirtualBox installation - it cannot be 2 times slower than bare metal.

Either Intel VT-X or Nested Pages were disabled or you had some other odd problem.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Note that the Intel processors with the K-suffix lacks support for IOMMU (VT-d) which allows PCI passthrough, which is used for letting the guest VM access the graphics card of the host machine.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X