• MuadDib
    replied
    Wrong word order

You ought to have written:
    "... to test out this fast but incredibly expensive processor under Linux."

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    I would take one too for free, but i would never buy it (to compare against i7-880). I also need a H5x board for my second s1156 cpu...

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by xeros View Post
    That's right, I was looking for 6-core AMD CPUs >3GHz in this benchmark, too.
    If only AMD sent out such CPUs to me...

Leave a comment:

• xeros
    replied
    Originally posted by devius View Post
    The problem with these super-expensive processors is that their value isn't that great. Sure it has lots of performance, but you can buy CPUs 3-3,5x cheaper that aren't 3-3,5x slower. Too bad there's no AMD 6-core in there as well.
    That's right, I was looking for 6-core AMD CPUs >3GHz in this benchmark, too.

Leave a comment:

• devius
    replied
    The problem with these super-expensive processors is that their value isn't that great. Sure it has lots of performance, but you can buy CPUs 3-3,5x cheaper that aren't 3-3,5x slower. Too bad there's no AMD 6-core in there as well.

Leave a comment:

• clavko
    replied
    Well, subpixel hinting was also the first thing i noticed in new
    graphs (which, btw, look just beautiful), and I think it's way better
    than that blurry font rendering on previous graphs. However, there are
    camps... as always. Apparently, it boils down to the way you are
    accustomed to.

Mac people love it the way previous graph were, which I think is
    hideous. Some Windows folks love it with jagged lines, no antialiasing,
    "put-a-black-pixel-or-go-away" kind of rendering. It's more tolerable,
    but not quite as nice as subpixel hinting.

And then, there are many kind of subpixel hinting. Original Cleartype
    is crystal clear, but deforming font shapes. New Cleartype (WPF -
    Vista, 7) is blurrier, but significantly better. Ubuntu sub is too
    aggresive (you can sometimes see that on the letter 'k'), in a way
    much like original Cleartype but lousier.

Finaly, there are my settings Slight hinting, David Turners patch
    (only vertical hinting, like this), non-patented freetype hinter.
    "These are the best settings" - Clavko said. Your mileage can vary

Leave a comment:

• lem79
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post
    These graphs are screenshots of the SVG files rendered by Gecko.
    Screenshots, that's why. The system you used was using subpixel antialiasing, no doubt. I assume we'll be seeing SVG graphs eventually, so we'll see them rendered with our own display/font settings?

It's a pet erm, not exactly peeve, but something like that, of mine .. to see screenshots from LCD screens. People always using that ghastly subpixel antialiasing. I don't see how people can think it looks good!

(Samsung 225BW, 22" 1680x1050 LCD here)

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by lem79 View Post
    The new graphs look nice Michael. However one issue I see .. are you using "sub-pixel antialiasing" on the fonts? Personally I use greyscale, since sub-pixel looks terrible (reminiscent of HAM mode on Amigas, with its "colour fringing" side effect); look in Ubuntu's fonts preferences to see the difference.

Using Compiz to zoom in on the graphs, it would appear you are using some form of sub-pixel antialiasing, whereas you're using the equivalent of greyscale on the pts logo in the top right.

Greyscale antialiasing = much nicer.
    These graphs are screenshots of the SVG files rendered by Gecko.

Leave a comment:

• lem79
    replied
    The new graphs look nice Michael. However one issue I see .. are you using "sub-pixel antialiasing" on the fonts? Personally I use greyscale, since sub-pixel looks terrible (reminiscent of HAM mode on Amigas, with its "colour fringing" side effect); look in Ubuntu's fonts preferences to see the difference.

Using Compiz to zoom in on the graphs, it would appear you are using some form of sub-pixel antialiasing, whereas you're using the equivalent of greyscale on the pts logo in the top right.

Greyscale antialiasing = much nicer.

Leave a comment:

• TrevorPH
    replied
    With/without HT turned on?

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    As I've said a few times before, with Iveland + OpenBenchmarking.org there will be improvements in this area via their embeddable tables, etc.
    Any chance you could benchmark the 970 without HT to see the differences and work out if it's something worth using (or not)?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X