X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
    I admit I was pretty shocked when AMD sold off their foundries. Not sure how well an acquisition by Intel will fly with the various regulators, but I'm not a multi-national corporation with connections everywhere, sooo...
    I don't think the regulators give two shits about anything currently. The amount of "vertical integration" is staggering these days. This image explains it pretty well.

Leave a comment:

• Developer12
    replied
    OMFG this is funny. Intel's once-legendary process nodes are so shit they're actually thinking about buying up the barrel-bottom that is GloFo.

What's next? Using Samsung's memory process nodes to make CPU logic?

In actual seriousness, this sounds a lot like what Ironmask suggested. Just buy up every other game in town and take everyone down with you.

Leave a comment:

• Paradigm Shifter
    replied
    I admit I was pretty shocked when AMD sold off their foundries. Not sure how well an acquisition by Intel will fly with the various regulators, but I'm not a multi-national corporation with connections everywhere, sooo...

Leave a comment:

• ThoreauHD
    replied
    This is worrying and hopeful, all at the same time. Wonder if they know something about CCPBiden/Taiwan that we don't. You don't dump that kind of cash on US/EU manufacturing(which you already have) unless you are damn sure that the supply lines are about to be cut. Shit, I hate this timeline.

Leave a comment:

• Chugworth
    replied
    Well one big advantage of Intel is that they have their own fabs. I was a long time fan of AMD, but I was quite disappointed when they split away from their fab. Now days we're way to dependent on Taiwan for chips. Just look a the chip shortage we're dealing with now. And Taiwan is in an unstable situation with China, so that creates the potential for things to get much uglier.

Leave a comment:

• Ironmask
    replied
    So they can't make a good product so they're just trying to buy everyone out instead?
    Yeah, that always works out so well.

Leave a comment:

• avem
    replied
    They should spend the money fixing their nodes. They have nothing which is even remotely close to TSMC's 7nm in terms of power efficiency and TSMC has long been churning chips using their 5nm node. Who cares that TGL reaches 5.3GHz when it's eating that much power in the process.

Leave a comment:

• JMB9
    replied
    It makes sense as they could not manage it themselves - maybe they should have done this move
    more than 5 years ago.
    And what about buying AMD, so they finally have decent CPUs and GPUs ... and not that trash they are
    selling since lots of years ... (needing mitigations which eats a good deal of performance, ME/CSME, ...).

Leave a comment:

• QwertyChouskie
    replied
    Originally posted by jaxa View Post
    That's a spicy meatball.
    I am not the original creator, please go check out TerminalMontage and support his amazing channel!

Leave a comment:

• jaxa
    replied
    That's a spicy meatball.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X