Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Originally posted by brad0 View Post

They are fully functional. The game has a bug.
    Still, it's weird that Phoronix doesn't mention this incompatibility.

Leave a comment:

• brad0
    replied
    Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
    I hope people will figure out how to get Max Payne running on these chips, as it's a pretty big issue, that from what I've looked into seems to be wonky CPUID code. It's interesting that this wasn't posted on Phoronix, and it's a deal breaker for me now. Fortunately, I'm not planning to get a new rig now, so I'll wait for AMD's chips to become fully functional.
    They are fully functional. The game has a bug.

Leave a comment:

• dweigert
    replied
    Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
    I like the value. PCIe v4.0 alone is worth it for me.

I know a guy with a 1st gen TR and a NVidia Ti who does engineering modeling and outputs to a 3D printer and a plasma cutter. He has been waiting on the 3rd gen because of the productivity increase it brings. He has to wait for a complex render to complete before it can print. If he can cut render time by ~30%, he wins.
    I wonder if a distributed render farm would be better for him. It might be faster than a single machine, and time is definitely money. I had bought a 2nd generation TR a few months ago, and I use it for content creation (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.) I'd run Linux on it if I could, but Adobe.... In any case... I have other machines with larger core counts for simulation work and virtual machines.

Leave a comment:

• edwaleni
    replied
    I like the value. PCIe v4.0 alone is worth it for me.

I know a guy with a 1st gen TR and a NVidia Ti who does engineering modeling and outputs to a 3D printer and a plasma cutter. He has been waiting on the 3rd gen because of the productivity increase it brings. He has to wait for a complex render to complete before it can print. If he can cut render time by ~30%, he wins.

Leave a comment:

• SofS
    replied
    24 cores with 140MB cache and slightly higher frequencies versus 32 cores and 144MB cache, just 4MB more. It will be interesting to see the trade-offs. By the way, how does the network interlinking the cores change from one version to another?

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied
    Originally posted by Chugworth View Post
    Eighteen years later and you still haven't beat the game?
    I was hoping this chip might help me get through Diablo II on nightmare and hell play levels.

Leave a comment:

• Chugworth
    replied
    I hope people will figure out how to get Max Payne running on these chips, as it's a pretty big issue, that from what I've looked into seems to be wonky CPUID code. It's interesting that this wasn't posted on Phoronix, and it's a deal breaker for me now. Fortunately, I'm not planning to get a new rig now, so I'll wait for AMD's chips to become fully functional.
    Eighteen years later and you still haven't beat the game?

Leave a comment:

• ddriver
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    AMD is releasing some pretty expensive
    Not that expensive relative to previous gen 32 core TR, 10% more expensive vs more than 30% better performance, plus ECC support, plus double the IO from going PCIE4.

I reckon margins will be lower too, 4x 7nm dies plus the IO die cost significantly more than the 4x 12nm dies used in the previous model.

Even with Intel cutting its HEDT prices by half, choosing AMD is still a no-brainer, superior performance, superior features and tremendously better power efficiency. That is if one really needs a 2000$ CPU for a workstation. Server CPUs are optimized for efficiency, and in most workstation use cases, their only advantage of support excessive amounts of RAM isn't worth the design drawbacks.

Last edited by ddriver; 07 November 2019, 11:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• thxcv
    replied
    People already figured out..

Leave a comment:

• cb88
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    Definitely not a desktop CPU (you don't really need all those cores, unless on a workstation), but damn, so many cores within 105W...
    To be fair... people that actually buy desktops instead of laptops, often do have a use case for all those cores. Be it content creation, home engineering workstation, programming etc... sure they'lll sit idle most of the time, but when needed they'll get you through a heavy task that much faster.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X