Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Components of ubuntu Desktop PC and configuration

Hi,

I'm configuring a new Desktop PC for ubuntu, which will be used for normal office work (much sheets) and CAD over a virtual machine with XP (no gaming). It should be faster then my current one.
    Old PC:
    • Intel CoreTM2Duo CPU E8500, 4 GB, 3,16 GHz
    • S-ATA Green Power WD5000AACS-0 Rev. 4E05, 500 GB, 16 MB Buffer, 5.400-7.200 RPM, 8,9 ms, S.M.A.R.T.
    • ASUSTEK Computer P5Q-Pro, LGA775, Chip P45, 4x DDR2 1.200 MHz
    • NVIDIA G94 GFORCE 9600 GT, rev. a1
    • BIOS American Megatrends, BIOS Revision: 16.13, Release: 12/03/2008
    • ubuntu 15.10 LUKS LVM2

As components for the new not high end PC I imagine (not yet bought):
    • CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 (no overclocking planned)
    • Grafic: on bord HD530
    • Motherboard: GA-H110M-S2HP with 2x4 GB DDR4/2133 MHz
    • Disk: SSD Samsung 850 EVO Pro 256 GB
    • HDD: WD Blue 1 TB
    After studying various publications I saw, that ubuntu 15.10 was used by Photronix on the core i3-6100 with GA-H110M-A-CF. Therefor I have the following questions before ordering:
    1. On the manual of the CPU i red, that you have to install a 'Windows USB Installation Tool' first of using the USB ports. I didn't found any linux driver for this purpose. Can I nevertheless use the USB ports on ubuntu without Windows and without any drivers?
    2. As the Core i3-6100 doesn't support XP, I would like to know, if I can use a virtual machine with XP in it for my CAD application under ubuntu 15.10!
    3. As some users have difficulties in using UEFI on linux and suggest to switch it off, I would like to know, if the Core i3-6100 can be used under ubuntu even without UEFI or if there are no major problems to expect?
    4. Would you suggest a different Intel combination of hardware (CPU/motherboard)? I could also accept an AMD solution, if it would be more convenient.
    I would be very glad to here your opinion and experience with kind regards
    linuxxi

Working...
X