Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions for home server, lots of disks, AMD Ryzen CPU, 32gb+ ECC memory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for home server, lots of disks, AMD Ryzen CPU, 32gb+ ECC memory?

Hi all,
    It's getting time to replace my AMD Althon Phenom II X4 945 system with 16Gb of RAM and a bunch of disks. I've even got a Cyclom PCI serial card in there which I'd like to try and keep working, and a Fusion MPT SAS/SATA controller for alot of the disks in the system. As you can guess, I'm way out of touch with what's out there, but it's getting to be time to replace this thing.

My goals are:
    - keep it all quiet
    - ECC Memory of 32-64GB RAM
    - 6 to 8 cores. Maybe more?
    - Lots of SATA ports
    - excellent Linux support
    - lots of USB 3.x ports, especially front headers.

The goal is a core NFS server for home which also runs a bunch of VMs. It's semi tempting to run ESXi as the core, and put Linux VMs on top as I need them. But even just running Debian with Vagrant and virsh VMs is enough for me. But it's got to be reliable and solid.

But I'm a cheapskate and I don't need anything with great graphics at all, since it's just a server that sits in the corner. I've got an old desktop that also needs replacing, but that could be in a much smaller case since again I don't game much at all. It's mostly photo editing, spinning up V

I'd like to try and keep my old case (CoolerMaster Centurion something or other) but I'm also thinking that a good 4U server case like Rosewill RSV-L4500U 4U Server Chassis
    as long as it has one or more USB 3.0 ports up front and the option to add more, and is decently quiet.

I'll be moving over all my existing disks (2 x 500gb SSDs, 10-12 3.5" disks of various sizes) but looking for room to grown and change over time. I'm mirroring all my data, not really doing much RAID5 or 6 at this time.

Thanks,
    John
Working...
X