• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post

If they do, great.
    But the shear scale of the work and its evident difficulty makes it seem like too much effort to backport.
    It's not really comparable with enabling AMD polaris for Leap 42.3 on the 4.4.x kernel...
    What do you mean "too much effort"? HWE = HardWare Enablement, adding support for newer hardware is the whole reason these exist. See: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack

Keep in mind that in order to offer stability these are still not necessarily the latest releases and are still spaced 4 months apart. But they're way better than being stuck for 2 years with the same kernel and X.

Leave a comment:

• Jedibeeftrix
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    i'm pretty sure they do release hardware enablements
    Originally posted by Hibbelharry
    I don't know how exactly suse handles kernel updates, but Ubuntu gets those with their HWE Stacks. If AMD fails the finish line for 3.14, you will still get support after a while via HWE Stack.
    If they do, great.
    But the shear scale of the work and its evident difficulty makes it seem like too much effort to backport.
    It's not really comparable with enabling AMD polaris for Leap 42.3 on the 4.4.x kernel...

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

I'm not optimistic DC will be ready in 4 months anyway...
    I meant, 4 months after 18.04 is out...

Leave a comment:

• untore
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    As usual, it's better to wait a bit and let things settle down first.
    is this still a good advice since cryptomining? an nvidia 10606g is currently cheaper then a 480x8g and 1070 cheaper than. 580x8g.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    It would still be 4 months till the first HWE release...
    but 4 is less than 60, isn't it? and less than nvidia's eternity

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Performance in DX12 an Vulkan is not because of better driver support, but because of the conscious decision Nvidia made to cut back on the compute power while stuck at 28nm.
    i take it all amd decisions are inconscious. actually nvidia just always sucks at compute power

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    The 300 series is not even mentioned because it's the same silicon as the 200 series
    lol, what is fury's silicon in the 200 series? it is not mentioned because nobody mentioned it, that is all
    and RX 400 is recognized as a "simple" process change
    but you forgot to tell this shit amd devs and they had to write new driver
    Last edited by pal666; 31 July 2017, 10:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    I don't know which driver team you know, but in real life: https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017...ew_fine_wine/3
    With a few exceptions, the cards gained something like 3-4fps. I'd say launch day performance is pretty relevant still.
    wtf that is windows driver, we are talking about mesa here

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
    Please AMD, do whatever you need to do to get DC in 4.14.
    Ubuntu 18.04 and Suse Leap 15 are both LTS releases, and since changes of this magnitude are unlikely to be backported, the likely result would be no native driver support by the [intended] consumer driver for the five years these releases will be 'live'.
    i'm pretty sure they do release hardware enablements

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    It will beat it if it's at the same level as the GTX 1070. But it will need way more power than your GTX 1060 to do it.
    But here come the cons:
    - as Michael has noted, Vega needs DC and DC is not mainlined yet -> no out of the box open source support for a while
    lol, how "not mainlined" can be worse than nvidia? it's better, proper nvidia driver doesn't exist at all

Leave a comment:

Working...
X