Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would A Kickstarter Open-Source GPU Work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caledar
    replied
    Originally posted by movieman View Post
    That's, you know, kind of the point of patents: preventing other people from doing what you're doing without giving you money.

And yes, they do make much open source hardware impossible.
    See: http://patentabsurdity.com/

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied

Leave a comment:

• hoohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    Glide failed for a reason.
    Wasn't Glide an early OpenGL implementation?

Then again, my memory might not be what it used to be.

Leave a comment:

• hoohoo
    replied
    I pretty much agree with Michael. Spending $50 on an AMD or NV card is a better solution (whether you then use open source drivers or closed source from AMD or NV).

If someone wants to try to do an opensource GPU, hey have a ball. I just don't think there is much point.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Originally posted by vanag View Post
    I would be also interested on having a KickStarter project providing a wire-standard for programming the GPU or even the GPGPU independent of vendor. So one could use on driver for all GPUs. Something like USB.
    Glide failed for a reason.

Leave a comment:

• vanag
    replied
    Me too would fund this project

Originally posted by timothyja View Post
    I would throw some $ behind it just out of interest to see what they come up with.
    I am interested on having the design open source. We do not need blobs. I would be also interested on having a KickStarter project providing a wire-standard for programming the GPU or even the GPGPU independent of vendor. So one could use on driver for all GPUs. Something like USB.

Leave a comment:

• fbruno
    replied
    Thanks for the initial vote. I am currently in FL attending to sick parents, but will push more on my partner next week.

In the FPGA version you need an external DVI/ HDMI chip which is fairly cheap. (This runs currently)
    Displayport might actually be doable from the FPGA. I need to check, my partner did some work for this.

I'm not sure if it helps to strip out windows stuff, but since it's open source, it's easy enough to do.

A 2D board would likely cost far short of $100 in volume.
    A 3D board less than $150-200.
    (We would open source our current designs. Anyone could build them.)

An attractive thing is to use the new Xilinx or altera SOC's. Dual core Arms/ w/ the IP would be sweet.

I was a supporter of parallela also. The founder is a friend of my wife's.

I'll keep you guys informed. I want this to happen, it's convincing my partner which is the issue now.

Thanks again!
    -Frank

Leave a comment:

• glococo
    replied
    Originally posted by fbruno View Post
    The IP is a DX6/7 (possibly8) and OpenGL 2D/3D controller.
    I like the idea of trimming all the Windows stuff and make a compact efficient Linux GPU, (only OpenGL?)

PCI (we have a version w/ AHB/ APB for ARM)
    CRT controller
    ARM support, great. DisplayPort could be an opensource initiative upgrade !

This is very different than open graphics. These designs actually work running real OSes.
    +++

Leave a comment:

• glococo
    replied
    Hi Frank,

Thanks for your update.

First of all, YOUR IDEA IS EPIC !!! I initially give you 200usd, It isn't too much, but considering I have no idea of FPGA, is too much for me.
    You and your partner will make a memorable starting point.

My point of view:
    1) The target is not HIGHEND GPU, period. Just an opensource GPU that can be easy integrated in an CPU (opensource? maybe your project help other implement a complete opensource SOC)
    2) +Educational purposes.
    3) As soon as the performance reach an acceptable level, I think Chinese ARM integrator will choose it. Of course, initially will not be cheaper than nvida, amd, ARM. We shall not expect an opensource GPU/CPU to be cheaper than an ARM (for less than 8 usd you get 1~1.6ghz ARM rk3188,A20)

BTW: I backed PARALLELLA 64core and I'm proud of spending 200 USD in semiconductor startups.
    Honestly, I wish your company publish your project in Kickstarter, you got my support.

PS: Actually, in my opinion, Kickstarter manage 90% useless projects, mainly oriented to "entertainment", which for me is a waste of money for what Kickstarter should be. A very small percentage is for science and technology.

Leave a comment:

• movieman
    replied
    Originally posted by Caledar View Post
    It would be sad if one company in its own interests is allowed to hold a patents that make opensource projects impossible.
    That's, you know, kind of the point of patents: preventing other people from doing what you're doing without giving you money.

And yes, they do make much open source hardware impossible.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X