X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by andyprough View Post
    I'll ask again - are there any examples yet of any machines being pwned via Spectre or Meltdown in the wild? A single one? I still cannot find a single example.
    Whoever gets pwned is unlikely to be able to dissect the malware, nor in most cases wants to let everyone know they got pwned.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    Is this supposed to mean "you support him", or "that won't happen so please stop"?
    Both. I'm with him with thoughts and prayers, but I sincerely doubt that it will happen.

Leave a comment:

• zzarko
    replied
    Originally posted by andyprough View Post
    are there any examples yet of any machines being pwned via Spectre or Meltdown in the wild?
    Meltdown is so simple to execute, there were JavaScript implementations that ran in the browser and did password extraction (you can easily find many). And because the idea is so simple, and browsers, OSes and CPUs were patched for this only this or last year, I would be very surprised if it wasn't used by black hat hackers, NSA and the like years before official finding last year.

Leave a comment:

• carewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Adarion View Post
    Oh. Well. It was to be expected. Someone had to play with it and discover. I guess we will still see more of this kind in the future.
    I guess there will be performance impacts, though, well, Nv might possibly declare this not to be a bug (and not fix it).
    What do you mean by "NVidia might". You know they will, when have they ever done anything else?

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied
    I'll ask again - are there any examples yet of any machines being pwned via Spectre or Meltdown in the wild? A single one? I still cannot find a single example.

If this is all just theoretical academic hacking wizardry that could only be accomplished by a group with unlimited resources like a major nation state, then all this tomfoolery is simply a hardware tax. And probably designed to force more monitoring and regulation of our hardware and processes.

Leave a comment:

• PluMGMK
    replied
    "Neutral networks"?

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Keep hoping.
    Is this supposed to mean "you support him", or "that won't happen so please stop"?

Leave a comment:

• ms178
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Keep hoping.
    I do. Or else I will have some use for my pitch fork again.

Leave a comment:

• Adarion
    replied
    Oh. Well. It was to be expected. Someone had to play with it and discover. I guess we will still see more of this kind in the future.
    I guess there will be performance impacts, though, well, Nv might possibly declare this not to be a bug (and not fix it).

Leave a comment:

• hvis
    replied
    If mitigations like limiting granularity of counters are enough, then no, there should be no significant performance impact.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X