Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mutiarch gaming - run x86 Windiows games on PPC and ARM, where is problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mutiarch gaming - run x86 Windiows games on PPC and ARM, where is problem?

I never was fan of Wintel - x86, although i used it mostly, especially Intels and MS practices and patents which are blocking evolution,
    i love games more that i hate Wintel.. - best games there and best emulation options for old machines (im not collector i dont what to pile zillions old machines, even
    when often emulation not working perfectly..)

I now that there were some emulation layer in the past for playing games for other systems - on Amiga, MacOS on Alphas, but i was limited, after that
    almost other that x86 architectures leave consumers computers (except consoles), but now..

Now we have lots of relatively powerful ARM boards Open Power8 is on the way, virtualization, paravirtualization (+pass through).. but there still not much happening.

When im trying to find info about how to run x86 code on ARM on Youtube, Google or elsewhere is looks that is very niche topic.. And people which know lots of stuff,
    usually know and care more about company stuff - which is not interesting for me - such how to run some Webserver, DBserver etc on ARM, not about gaming.

I know that - realtime instruction translation is costly, but even at 20,30% of native speed could be good enough, Microsoft is now trying to that with Windows on Snapdragons.

I know that there are some project as Wine ARM port and QEMU, but progress is slow.. I dont know why and what is actually blocking it, or im not sure of it, i want to know
    how far this working emulation we are, where is problem? Because its year from time, when i could run Dosbox Windows 98 Bochs image on Android and Fallout in it, on really cheap
    SoC.

Arent all instruction translated, is translation code not good enough, is there missing some device - GPU / Sound / Net emulated devices for QEMU, or what?

Why could be Wine just ported on Android and run as good as on Linux? Because when i really about i see something like initial support for very basic thing is in progress..

What about Wine on ARM linux or Power linux, where is problem? Is Wine code "bad" and has some special x86 only code or what?

Can someone actually on some lab expensive Power company grade super machine /
    or ARM 48 codes CPU run just for fan Windows QEMU machine and Crysis on it?

Why we just cant run x86 Steam through or without real time instruction translation on these platforms, slower but, run?

Where is this thing stuck? Who is to blame? Who to push to make needed progress? What project we need to donate to make it happen?
Working...
X