X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• panda84
    replied
    Originally posted by peppercats View Post
    this alone makes it worth it, hard to get a SoC with that anywhere near this price range.
    OlinuXino-LIME2 gets near that:
    Olimex A20-OLinuXino-LIME2 Open Source Hardware embedded ARM Linux Android computer with Allwinner Dual Core Cortex-A7 A20 1GB RAM and 1000Mb Ethernet 16GB eMMC 16MB SPI Flash Industrial grade -40+85C

This dual core, but it's Cortex A7, while the Hardkernel on is Cortex A5:

The price is a bit higher (45? vs 35$), but with these price ranges, shipping takes a relevant role, and Olimex is based in Europe, while Hardkernel in South Korea.

Leave a comment:

• Kemosabe
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    There is a very good chance that in terms of performance-per-watt, this board is far more efficient than the Pi.
    Better Performance-Per-Watt does not solve the higher power consumption problem.
    THIS is spec hunting

5$ the year just for a single RaPi are not nothing

Leave a comment:

• hajj_3
    replied
    $9 delivery makes it $44 not $35.

Leave a comment:

• AJSB
    replied
    No, it doesn't have a USB 3.0 connector...but same happens with the RPi.

BTW, at 65 USD and just a bit bigger, there's the UX3 Lite w/4 USB 2.0 and 1 USB 3.0 for normal use, not to mention a lot more powerfull HW...but yeah, almost twice the price and bigger power drain.

Leave a comment:

• tidris
    replied
    It is good to see gigabit ethernet, but I wish it had at least one USB 3.0 port too.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
    Spec hunting is for kiddies.
    The real question is: How much more power does it consume?
    As long as it needs more power (which is more than likely) this board cannot smash anything.
    Hmm.... maybe if you did some spec hunting you would know how much power it consumes

But anyway, it's power protector IC supports 5v 2A. According to the tech specs, the device should use 0.5A if no USB devices are connected, though I'm not sure if that's under load.

The CPU is an A5, which is supposed to be very power efficient, however, Hardkernel has a tendency to overclock their devices. I think the A5 was only supposed to go up to 800MHz, but this is at 1500MHz. Pretty huge step up, however, it still doesn't appear to require a heatsink. That being said, it still must be pretty power efficient.

There is a very good chance that in terms of performance-per-watt, this board is far more efficient than the Pi.

Leave a comment:

• Luke_Wolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
    As long as it needs more power (which is more than likely) this board cannot smash anything.
    I'm sorry.... what? it's an ARM Single Board Computer... the power it draws is negligible so no that's not even a question.

Leave a comment:

• dehuszar
    replied
    horses for courses

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Very interesting... I thought the U3 was nice but this might be more suitable to my needs. I really wish Hardkernel would make devices similar to C1 or U3 but with wifi instead of Ethernet.
    I've been on the other side wanting gigabit ethernet, so this release is very nice to see. I have a few different boards of theirs, and each revision they keep doing one better and incorporating feedback, so definitely let them know your preference.

They do sell this little fella for pretty cheap: http://www.hardkernel.com/main/produ...=G137447734369

I've used it. Decent range/throughput for it's size and price. Not sure you'd want to stream Vudu in 5.1 with it, but it's totally viable.

Leave a comment:

• Kemosabe
    replied

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Very interesting... I thought the U3 was nice but this might be more suitable to my needs. I really wish Hardkernel would make devices similar to C1 or U3 but with wifi instead of Ethernet.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X