X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zanny
    replied
    Originally posted by Vidar View Post
    So it begins. A new age of tearless gaming. What will NVIDIA be able to offer more with their G-SYNC compared to this?
    Do they have to do anything? It is an open standard. They don't need to sell tacked on proprietary chips for monitors when they just naturally handle adaptive vsync anyway. It is kind of like Mantle - bring out a closed arbitrary piece of shit, and motivate the open standards to get off their asses and adopt necessary technological improvements.

Leave a comment:

• amehaye
    replied
    Originally posted by clementl View Post
    Apparently, it actually makes the motion so smooth that you can even read moving text: http://youtu.be/gbW9IwVGpX8?t=11m7s
    In that case I'm all in for that feature. Bring it on

Leave a comment:

• GraysonPeddie
    replied
    I like having a 36- or 40-inch DisplayPort monitor, which is my preferred size for my eyesight. I can do 27" but I will be reading text 2" away from the screen with a bit odd squinting (27" iMac at an Apple store). With a 38.5" monitor, I can read text between 4 to 8 inches away from screen with no magnification at all.

It will be interesting to see what tear-free gaming is like with DisplayPort 1.2a regardless of any screen size.

(Typed in Nexus 7 en route to Tallahassee.)

Leave a comment:

• clementl
    replied
    Originally posted by amehaye View Post
    I actually don't like this feature. Smoothness of animation is achieved by a constant refresh rate. Adaptive refresh rate is going to cause jittery animation.
    Apparently, it actually makes the motion so smooth that you can even read moving text: http://youtu.be/gbW9IwVGpX8?t=11m7s

Leave a comment:

• amehaye
    replied
    I actually don't like this feature. Smoothness of animation is achieved by a constant refresh rate. Adaptive refresh rate is going to cause jittery animation.

Leave a comment:

• BSDude
    replied
    Originally posted by shaurz View Post
    Hold off buying that new monitor until the dust settles!
    +1. DisplayPort 1.3 is coming out soon anyways. It should have this + 8k bandwidth incorporated.

Leave a comment:

• shaurz
    replied
    Hold off buying that new monitor until the dust settles!

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Availability two years earlier than VESA?

Leave a comment:

• Vidar
    replied
    So it begins. A new age of tearless gaming. What will NVIDIA be able to offer more with their G-SYNC compared to this?

Leave a comment:

• Min1123
    replied
    Standards

This is great news. It means that once DP 1.2a is out on monitors and GPUs that a lot of tearing will go away. I've had all kinds of videos and video games (mostly via Steam) tear quite a lot. On NVidia, AMD, and Intel GPUs. This being part of the standard means that any 1.2a hardware will have to support it, and that's great news for everyone.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X