No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi 3 Model A+ Released For $25 USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it costs more than the $35 target or if it uses a SoC with shitty open source support it will not be a RPi worth its salt. Keep that in mind while you write down your wishlist for the RPi4.

I just hope it will have native gbe, that it will feature something better than the A53 and that it will use a much newer process technology, 22nm FDSOI would be great indeed.

I just don't understand why the RPi is so tied to Broadcom. In the future, I would like to see them migrating to Risc V, but unfortunately there is no competitive, performant Risc V SoC at the moment.

Another thought, it's been 3 years that all we see are budget A53-based SoC. It is taking quite long for the new ARM uarch to reach mainstream market. A76/A56 looks quite promising, but how long until we see that in affordable devices?

Comment

Originally posted by mbello View Post
      I just don't understand why the RPi is so tied to Broadcom. In the future, I would like to see them migrating to Risc V, but unfortunately there is no competitive, performant Risc V SoC at the moment.
      Because the project was started by a Broadcom employee and its current success has been enabled by his relationship with his employer and their willingness to help the project for PR and potential future market-building? That's the kind of thing you don't throw out on a whim.

Comment

I still wouldn't mind at all if Broadcomm decided to actually send them a SoC that does not have total shit connectivity as the current one. Either a USB 3.0 or a PCIe lane please...

Comment

Working...
        X