Trying Out The Jetson TK1, NVIDIA's High-End Tegra K1 Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
    Everything you wrote is bullshit. There were claims that Logan's (32-bit K1) TDP claims were a scam but you now see it sitting in two thin tablets.
    Under what thermal profile ?

Similar claims were made about its performance but it's chart topping, as we now see. And it is pretty much confirmed that Denver will be in Google's upcoming Nexus 9, made by HTC.
    I've got AM board for ~€25. ( mini -ITX version is similarly priced),I took cheapest Sempron 2650, but 5350 is €50ish or less. 4GB stick was €35. All in all around €110.

For a combo that at least matches that TK1 and is quite a bit more extensible.

So, what is so special about that TK1 in this role - for playing around ?
    Last edited by Brane215; 12 October 2014, 04:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
      Under what thermal profile ?

I've got AM board for ~?25. ( mini -ITX version is similarly priced),I took cheapest Sempron 2650, but 5350 is ?50ish or less. 4GB stick was ?35. All in all around ?110.

For a combo that at least matches that TK1 and is quite a bit more extensible.

You need to add power supply and some storage space, jetson kit it comes with power prick and 16GB storage...

But Jetson kit is not meant to be consumer product, it's developer kit for product designers/software engineers. It has expansion port where can be attached touch screens etc. You should check this page where the kit is used:

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
        It's probably nice as cheap ARM platform to experiment with, but for anything useful, what's the point ?

Existing x86 offers from AMD and Intel are cheaper, much more versatile ( more ports etc).

Also, I remmber reading on the Semiaccurate that Tk will fall way below marketing claims and that its stated power consumption is essentially scam.

And now we see first boards actively cooled.

With such power consumption, how much sense it makes to go for ARM option that is much more expensive to boot ?
        Semiaccurate is usually not very accurate.

The guy makes some nebulous claim and then two months later comes back and says, "See! It's just like I told ya!"

Comment

Nothing special, it is just nvidia arm dev kit - arm software can't be really compared with x86 performance, robustness and flexibility

Here lowest prices for Athlon 5350 now is 36€ (and i think i saw some new asus am1 mobo for about 18€ ... i think that is the one http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AM1ME/ others are for about 25€+), so one can make AM1 even more dirty cheap . GPU on paper sounds worse then TK1 have, but actually (probably because of software) that APU can beat TK1 at everything

But OK we can't really compare honestly arm/x86 performance , we will see next year when AMD will have ARM APUs for the masses... real situation will be more clear when benchmarking is done on the same arch .
          Last edited by dungeon; 12 October 2014, 11:47 AM.

Comment

I didn't mean to start ARM vs x86 debate, just to question attractiveness of this particular product for domestic playing around.

Here some Intel's J1900 or AMD's 5350 seems as much cheaper and more versatile solution.

Otherwise, as an architecture, I like ARM much more than x86 and hope AMD will succeed with its upcoming 8-core ARM server chip, not to mention Qualcom and other ARM multicore players.

Comment

Working...
            X