• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post
    Looks like a decent tiny pc. It is however has these problems:

no DDR3 1600mhz capability
    no optical audio out
    only 1 usb 3.0 port
    no displayport

The Asus chromebox has 3 x usb 3.0 ports, displayport and comes with 2 or 4gb ram (unknown speeds) for $180. It doesn't have optical audio either. It comes with 16GB nand flash, i don't think there is an internal sata port for a 2.5" hdd.

Neither of these boxes a perfect but it is a step in the right direction. I hope AMD can bring out their own NUC competitor.
    I haven't seen anything using AMD's A4-1200 http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Jaguar...20A4-1200.html Seeing as these are all tablet x86 CPUs it's a logical competitor.

Comment

I would love to get this NUC as a media player/home server/emulator box. Intel, give me that NUC!

Kubuntu with XBMC, Retroarch and some other stuff would be cool on this.

Comment

I love it but have some questions

Hi,

Will this baby be cool with the new Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS? It has the new hardware enablement pack....

I installed the alpha version of openelec on it, and it plays anything I throw at it! But it's still Alpha, so...

Cheers,

Comment

It's very nice to finally see an Atom system with everything working correctly (maybe even optimally) on Linux. That finally means that you can get decent x86 tablets now (so if my current one breaks at some point, I'll know what to upgrade to).

It's also nice to hear about a NUC. These things also look rather attractive to me, since they are very compact, efficient, and still serviceable to some extent, more so than all-in-ones and a bit more than laptops. It would be a good HTPC choice, except that you can't have a TV card in it, so you'd have to either use IPTV (which generally doesn't work on Linux) or just use your own media files. As a server, well, its power might not be enough. It could certainly be a very nice smart NAS, though, and I could definitely see how you could use it as a hybrid NAS/wireless access point (with a USB wireless "adapter")/FTP/IRC server.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            It's very nice to finally see an Atom system with everything working correctly (maybe even optimally) on Linux. That finally means that you can get decent x86 tablets now (so if my current one breaks at some point, I'll know what to upgrade to).
            Something wrong with the AMD tablets, temash etc?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              Something wrong with the AMD tablets, temash etc?
              Those actually exist now? They didn't back when I bought my tablet, and I haven't actually heard much about them since then, either. Wherever I look the x86 tablets seem to be Intel.

Comment

Is the DN2820FYK passively cooled or does it have any fan? any heat sink?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Is the DN2820FYK passively cooled or does it have any fan? any heat sink?
                  It's got a fan, but you can barely ear it...

Comment

Intel Drivers...

I've installed Ubuntu 14.04 alpha on this, and it's running cool.

But I'm having a big problem. When I install XBMC on Ubuntu it decodes everything with the CPU, not with the GPU. Does anyone know how to force the hardware acceleration?

Thank you!!

Comment

Installing in Debian stable for XEN make also problems with grafic

Hello,

I also get the item in these days and want to change it for XEN controlled server.
                      It arrives with BIOS from Dec. 2013 and make problems for install something with lelegasty supprort (not UEFI).
                      So I changed the BIOS for last date (0032 from April) and it works.

(Getting problems in installing from USB also)

--

But I get problems to change the resolution in grub2.
                      Can't get information about vbeinfo in grub2, and when I try to change it in 800x600 or in 1024x768 (GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768x16) it crashes in display and I had to start new system build.

Maybe I can change it with libg3dvl-mesa package ??

Testing the framebuffer in linux-mode give right result.

--

DOM0 will work fine and I hope now for guest's.

Kernel now in Linux is 3.2.0.-4-amd64

Somebody have a resolution for getting better view for direct terminal-control ?

Friedrich

Comment

Working...
                      X