Mono Developers Regret Doing Moonlight In C++

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Honton View Post
    C++ is the only kind of prison that will make the time go backwards while entropy increases. The thermodynamic equilibrium for C++ is the 80s and a self sustained nuclear melt down. C++ is the Chernobyl of code writing.
    what a b......t ...

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
      As someone who uses C++ for a living, all I can say to this is *bollocks*. The STL implementations are not ABI-compatible, so your code will crash as soon as you try anything more complicated than "hello world".
      So you are talking about libc++ vs libstdc++ compatibility and not gcc vs clang compatibility? Gcc C++ and clang c++ is 100% compatible, but libc++ and libstdc++ are not. Fortunately you can configure clang to use libstdc++ (because it is g++ compatible).
      Last edited by carewolf; 04 January 2014, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bnolsen View Post
        c++'s biggest problem is that it doesn't really establish a "this is how you should do things" paradigm. What typically happens is that it ends up being over engineered and misused with things like overuse of inheritance, abuse of encapsulation, classes with too many mutable methods which means difficult to track state. And too many folks still like to junk up the global namespace with mutables, just crazy stuff.
        while this is very true i see the very same issue with simplier, more "coder friendlier" ones. the only difference is that the masses of programmers do not see the issues of their bad code on such languages.

Honestly I can't imagine being able to reliably create robust readable code that provides good high level algorithms like graphs, matrices, polynomials, etc with 'c'.
        really? was one of my easiest excersizes. it is VERY easy writing all that examples you gave efficiently, readable and robust in C., though i admitt using features from C++ makes something much easier (e.g. memory allocation and management).

i have no clue where your trouble results from, except if you are one of that guys that omplement such datastractures and algorithms with overcomplicated class hirarchies that end up very inefficient. i've seen so many of such implementations though i do not want to judge you without knowing you.

Comment

Originally posted by lano1106 View Post
          trust me. This is not true. Sometimes, the apparent purpose of the huge pile of senseless classes seem to be to make the reader insane and confused. Generally, the open-source project code quality is surprisingly very good but as soon as you go in a closed shop, all bets are on regarding the crappiness of the code. From my experience, the bigger the shop is, the crappier the code becomes. My favorite example. IBM source version control client ClearCase is 1GB big! The situation is so bad that they even have to resort to subliminal messages by drawing in blue pale the words 'Speed' and 'effeciency' in the client white background.
          how exactly is this (true) statement contradicting your quote? the relation between C and C++ regarding code quality is independent to the issue you describe.

Comment

And RAII is a poor man's implementation of reflection. So bad, actually, that Qt had to implement a meta-language complete with parser, just to get some semblance of logical GUI code. RAII is so much worse than what a modern language can do that it's not even funny.
            If that's what you think RAII is, you don't seem to understand RAII. The closest comparison in C# is the 'using' keyword to automatically call Dispose as the scope is exited. This causes ugly nested scoping if you need to clean up multiple things, or use a try/catch/finally block to manually call Dispose on all objects.

Comment

And RAII is a poor man's implementation of reflection. So bad, actually, that Qt had to implement a meta-language complete with parser, just to get some semblance of logical GUI code. RAII is so much worse than what a modern language can do that it's not even funny.
              WTF, man the guy is confusing RAII with RTTI I think...

Comment

IMO Is not a bad idea at all

C++ along with other bunch of languages were designed originally for devices that lacked a graphical interface in the 70's. These days is the other way around, since most people have no clue what a command line interface is. So giving that fact, I think is a good idea to include a standard 2D drawing interface that will be available on all platforms, and opening a new market to C++ development.

At a slow space, but C++ is evolving for the better, not like Basic, Pascal, and a lot of other languages that stayed frozen in time, and in the future will be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by darkcoder View Post
                  C++ along with other bunch of languages were designed originally for devices that lacked a graphical interface in the 70's. These days is the other way around, since most people have no clue what a command line interface is. So giving that fact, I think is a good idea to include a standard 2D drawing interface that will be available on all platforms, and opening a new market to C++ development.

At a slow space, but C++ is evolving for the better, not like Basic, Pascal, and a lot of other languages that stayed frozen in time, and in the future will be forgotten.
                  I agree. There is plenty of useful applications for it that isn't necessarily web based engines like javascript or moonlight, like window managers, theme engines and what not.

As a side note, the idea that everything is going to be "web based" in the future is actually quite redicolous.
                  I don't see why trying to pipe document sharing, email, video conferences, user authentication etc. through an old http protocol designed for browsing is a good idea at all. I mean, we have 65000+ ports to choose from, why does everything have to use 80?

And of course now we also have the same problem with mobile phones. Ever since some nutjob decided he wanned to squeeze my laptop into my phone, making it 10 times bigger and more power hungry than necessary.

I guess this is what we get when the flock of sheeps that doesn't know how to come up with a good idea themself blindely starts following the same golden calf.

Comment

Originally posted by pepper_chico View Post
                    WTF, man the guy is confusing RAII with RTTI I think...
                    Well, he could have searched for it. I confused it, too, but then I noticed the lack of 't's to represent "type", and google'd it. I never used such a feature, yet.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
                      Well, he could have searched for it. I confused it, too, but then I noticed the lack of 't's to represent "type", and google'd it. I never used such a feature, yet.
                      Actually, as he says, it's not quite powerful/cross-platform/performant as expected, but the most common element of it is dynamic_cast, and if you ever used it, you had used RTTI.

Comment

Working...
                      X