Linux Developers Asked To Distance Themselves From RMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
    With systemd, I'm pretty sure that in a foreseeable future you could build a desktop system while skipping most of the gnu tools like awk, grep, sed...
    u could maybe but why would you want to, out of hate against rms?

Comment

Originally posted by who_me > back in the first page of this stupid thread
      some dude pretending to be a kernel programmer says something stupid on the LKML and it becomes newsworthy? Why?

Oh... more click-bait.
      Good catch, but apparently it worked.

Comment

Originally posted by shaurz View Post
        Most GNU code is crappy and they have the worst possible coding standard ever. We should dump glibc and gcc for an alternative libc and llvm, and replace all the other bloated GNU tools.
        There are distros doing so already. Alpine Linux for example.

Comment

Originally posted by alexcortes View Post
          I really like to see the BSD useland replacing the GNU useland on Linux distros.
          I am doing something related. Granted it has nothing to do with this story or RMS. Mine is more of a re-factoring attempt.
          There isn't any GPL or LGPL code with the exception to the Linux Kernel.

Once ElfToolChain http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/elftoolchain/ (Binutils replacement) is completed then, everything should eventualy build GPL/LGPL free.

The Musl C Library (Glibc Replacement), on there wiki http://wiki.musl-libc.org/wiki/Projects_using_musl there are distros testing building other OSS software against Musl.

The "All Packages" wiki page.

The "All Packages" wiki has everything organized based on the package type "Programs, C Library's, C++ Librarys, ..."
          Here is a screenshot for the C++ section of that page.

If we click on the "Anti-Grain Geometry" link we will find our selfs on that applications wiki page.

Comment

I try not to use the term "Linux" to refer to the OS any more anyways.
            I don't use GNU/Linux or Lignux either.

Personally I think the question is: distro or DE?

When speaking casually;
            Do I call it KDE or Suse?
            Do I call it Gnome or Fedora?
            Do I call if Xfce or Debian?
            etc.

Comment

^I think saying "Debian" is sufficient since Debian GNU/Linux is by far the most popular and it's pretty much assumed that's what you're referring to unless you mention Hurd or kfreebsd... Yeah, I know RMS would disagree with me because he's not getting explicit props, but "the instrument has yet to be invented that can measure my indifference" to that...

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                Faster system ? (I don't say it will be faster, but I would really like to see some benchmarks on PTS)

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                  Why does it always have to be about "hate" is it not possible for others to have a difference in opinion?

If you take the LFS http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/ and in particular the "All Packages" page http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/.../packages.html

1. Autotools, I use "Premake" (Easyer and More Control)
                  2. Bash, I use "Lua/Luajit" for most things related. (Lightweight, Easy, More Control)
                  3. Bison and Flex, I have the "Dragon Book" I normaly use Lemon or Peg (Easyer to use)
                  4. Bzip2 and Gzip, I use plane zip files (Cross Platform, Easy to Use, Does Archiving and Compression)
                  5. Coreutils, Everything about CoreUtils in my opinion is outdated and can be replaced with scripting, in my case (Lua)
                  6. Diffutils, I use Fossil that gives me DVCS, Wiki, Diff, .... in a light weight integrated package.
                  7. Expect, Not needed for anything other than as a dependence for another peace of software, Scripting is a better alternative.
                  8. File, Findutils, Gawk not used all that much anymore and Scripting is a better substitute.
                  9. GCC, GDBM, I use LLVM and its companion packages (are or will be a better alternative).
                  10. Glibc, I use Musl its smaller, faster and easier to maintain.
                  11. GRUB, I boot strait from UEFI

There are alot of better alternatives to GNU Tools and Library's.

Comment

Originally posted by zester View Post
                    Why does it always have to be about "hate" is it not possible for others to have a difference in opinion?

If you take the LFS http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/ and in particular the "All Packages" page http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/.../packages.html

1. Autotools, I use "Premake" (Easyer and More Control)
                    2. Bash, I use "Lua/Luajit" for most things related. (Lightweight, Easy, More Control)
                    3. Bison and Flex, I have the "Dragon Book" I normaly use Lemon or Peg (Easyer to use)
                    4. Bzip2 and Gzip, I use plane zip files (Cross Platform, Easy to Use, Does Archiving and Compression)
                    5. Coreutils, Everything about CoreUtils in my opinion is outdated and can be replaced with scripting, in my case (Lua)
                    6. Diffutils, I use Fossil that gives me DVCS, Wiki, Diff, .... in a light weight integrated package.
                    7. Expect, Not needed for anything other than as a dependence for another peace of software, Scripting is a better alternative.
                    8. File, Findutils, Gawk not used all that much anymore and Scripting is a better substitute.
                    9. GCC, GDBM, I use LLVM and its companion packages (are or will be a better alternative).
                    10. Glibc, I use Musl its smaller, faster and easier to maintain.
                    11. GRUB, I boot strait from UEFI

There are alot of better alternatives to GNU Tools and Library's.
                    I like gzip, let's me compress single files with the same algorithm as zip files without the extra overhead. when I compress multiple files I usually just pipe the resulting tar file to the compress program so I can pick what algorithm to use since there's a lot zip doesn't support.

Comment

Originally posted by pouar View Post
                      I like gzip, let's me compress single files with the same algorithm as zip files without the extra overhead. when I compress multiple files I usually just pipe the resulting tar file to the compress program so I can pick what algorithm to use since there's a lot zip doesn't support.
                      My needs are fairly basic in regards to zip, and last I checked via programming I think you have to use libtar-ng for archiving and gzip for the actual compression. That would be an extra step for me with no real added benefit in my use cases. Just a personal choice, and a little bit of lazy.

But other than personal taste I have nothing against bzip2 or gzip.

Comment

Working...
                      X