Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pingouin View Post
    Hello,
    What are the news about this motherboard and the review from Phoronix ?

I look for upgrading mobo/cg/cpu with an Etch Debian.
    I have 2 ATA hard drive, 1 dvd burner/reader(IDE)
    Wonder if this board will make it with no trouble at the installation, and after (IDE, hd, network....) thus it have 2 ide slots, and i dont have - yet - any sata devices.

Thanks for reading.

Best.
    The P5N-E SLI is still functioning great under Linux. A review on it will (hopefully) be posted this Thursday.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

ok

Hello,

Thanks you very much for your informations.
      I'm waiting very much this test from Phoronix.

Do you know if this board and a Debian/Etch (kernel 2.6.18 at installation) make it ?

I look for a board with 2 IDE ports (i still have 2 hd ATA + 1 dvdburner IDE)

Anyway, thanks for you answer and the review of this board.

Best.

Comment

Hello,

Do you know if this board and a Debian/Etch (kernel 2.6.18 at installation) make it ?

Best.
        I haven't tried Debian Etch, but it works with Feisty Fawn, Fedora 7, Solaris, and KateOS with the 2.6.18 kernel.
        Michael Larabel

Comment

thanks

Hello,
          Amazing fast answer.
          Thanks you very much.

I'm not a linux 'guru' just an simple user, so i wonder how can i check the kernel sources to know what is supported inside according to the P5N-E SLI's chipset (i think an nvidia nforce 650i, C55, mcp51 north/south bridge)
          All i know about from now i found here :

Maybe all the 'nvidia' choose in kernel configuration include 'all' chipset from nvidia ?

Anyway, again, thanks for you fast answer.

Best.

Comment

Hello,

Best.
            This board will work for you. Currently I am running 2 PATA HDDs, 1 DVD burner (PATA), 1 CD burner (PATA), and 2 SATA HDDs. All of them are playing well together.

I have really enjoyed this board. Any issues I have had are minor things that I were easily fixed (either with software upgrades or minimal tweaking of my setup). My only other issue was a physical issue that was solved with a gentle squeeze from a pair of pliers.

Also I initially installed Debian Etch on my system and then upgraded to Debian unstable. Worked like a charm.

Comment

Many thanks

Hello Falko, hello to all,

I want to say thanks you very much for sharing your informations about this motherboard and Debian Etch/Sid. It's really nice to heard it from a user of this board.

You mention ? minor things that I were easily fixed ? what are they ?
              What about the ? [...]physical issue that was solved with a gentle squeeze from a pair of pliers.? ?

Anyway, thanks you again.

I run to click on the review from Phoronix !!! (many thanks !!)

Best.

Comment

I still don't understand why http://www.phoronix.com/lch/ redirects to http://www.phoronix.com/. It's confusing.

Comment

Originally posted by StringCheesian View Post
                  I still don't understand why http://www.phoronix.com/lch/ redirects to http://www.phoronix.com/. It's confusing.
                  Because the content from lch/ was merged into the forums temporarily. We will be rolling out a new type of interactive compatibility list in the near future.
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

For those who are looking for a working kernel config (2.6.20), I got one.

The config assumes that you're using full SATA system (DVD/CD & hard drive) and nVidia GPU. Adjust according to your system.

BTW, the kernel version is 2.6.20 + patches from Gentoo Linux team (release 8.)

Comment

Hello Falko, hello to all,

You mention ? minor things that I were easily fixed ? what are they ?
                      What about the ? [...]physical issue that was solved with a gentle squeeze from a pair of pliers.? ?
                      Sorry for the late reply, but the holiday weekend took me away. To answer your questions.

My 2 software issues were:
                      1) The real-time clock chip (RTC) was unable to be set with Debian etch, until I modified the script /etc/init.d/hwclock.sh to add the options --directisa (HWCLOCKPARS=--directisa).
                      2) My ethernet over Firewire (IEEE1394) initially wasn't detected properly. After updating to testing this problem went away. I was not able to determine why or what was wrong. (On a side note, I took another drive I had laying around last week and installed the amd64 etch image on it. It didn't seem to have any issues with the ethernet over firewire. )

My hardware issue that was solved with pliers, was really quite funny. When I installed my PATA (40-pin IDE cable) in slot IDE1, one of the pins in the socket must have caught the edge of the connector and was pushed out the back of the socket. The IDE sockets are installed at 90 degrees to the motherboard, so the pin merely extended out the back. I was getting all sorts of DMA errors until I realized that the pin had been pushed out of the socket. I pulled the cable out and using some needle-nose pliers just pushed the pin back into the socket until it aligned with the other pins. I plugged the cable back in and things work great now.

Hopefully that helps. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Comment

Working...
                      X