No announcement yet.

Vote On A Distribution For Linux Benchmarking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• well for games is exactly the damn same if you remove XMir and use upstream mesa/xorg for the medium term and fedora do that good enough and yes blobs work fine with fedora/gentoo/arch/opensuse/etc

maybe michael from time to time can check XMir with games if that is your problem, i expect canonical to make XMir optional instead of make it default

Comment

• Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
      the Manjaro/Arch thing was a bad call
      on the statistics yes the top one was, the 2ed one was from a ProUbuntu poster but he failed to show that Ubuntu was only at 1% of Linux Users on his statistics, i seen many statistics and, i can say all of them are crap as for the Steam statistics they're unknown do to Wine... maybe thats why we keep seeing more and more Vista users pop up?
      well manjaro is based on arch, maybe that why michael put them togheter but i admit manjaro/sabayon are not exact to their parent distros tho but you can use the parent tooling from both Pacman/Portage.

about wine im not sure either if it get registered as a Windows X version or report additional information

Comment

• Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
        well for games is exactly the damn same if you remove XMir and use upstream mesa/xorg for the medium term and fedora do that good enough and yes blobs work fine with fedora/gentoo/arch/opensuse/etc

maybe michael from time to time can check XMir with games if that is your problem, i expect canonical to make XMir optional instead of make it default
        the only game i can get to run on Xmir Aka Xwayland is CS not CS:S

Comment

• is just me or ubuntu.com just removed all references to GNU/Linux and changed it for Ubuntu OS?

and this got changed too in the main ubuntu page in the "Why is it free? It?s open source" section

"Our global community[dafuq?] is made up of thousands of people who want to help build the best open-source operating system in the world. They volunteer their time and skills to make sure that Ubuntu[dafuq?] keeps getting better and better."

canonical just piss me off

Comment

• Originally posted by synaptix View Post
            Yes, because people don't look at hardware benchmarks on Linux for pure compiling (especially when it comes to GRAPHICS CARDS) especially considering that most of the hardware (and software ie; drivers) benchmarks are tested against GAMES first and foremost.
            The Phoronix Test Suite client itself is a test framework for providing seamless execution of test profiles
            and test suites. There are more than 200 tests available by default, which are transparently available
            via
            OpenBenchmarking.org
            integration. Of these default test profiles there is a range of sub-systems
            that can be tested and a range of hardware from mobile devices to desktops and worksrtations/servers.
            http://www.phoronix-test-suite.com/d...test-suite.pdf
            Clearly aimed at gaming hardware, for sure. Now, since you claim that most tests are games, how many of the 200 tests are actually games? Of course are video cards tested against games, amongst other tests that check OpenCL speed and other shader based tests. Now tell me which games are used for tests regarding file-systems, power-saving, CPU speed, ..., and tell me how many of them are games.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
              is just me or ubuntu.com just removed all references to GNU/Linux and changed it for Ubuntu OS?

and this got changed too in the main ubuntu page in the "Why is it free? It’s open source" section

"Our global community[dafuq?] is made up of thousands of people who want to help build the best open-source operating system in the world. They volunteer their time and skills to make sure that Ubuntu[dafuq?] keeps getting better and better."

canonical just piss me off
              Source: http://www.ubuntu.com/about/about-ubuntu

"Where did it all begin?

Linux was already established as an enterprise server platform in 2004. But free software was still not a part of everyday life for most computer users. That's why Mark Shuttleworth gathered a small team of developers from one of the most established Linux projects – Debian - and set out to create an easy-to-use Linux desktop, Ubuntu."
              Can you even read? This is literally paragraph 2. It took me all of 5 seconds to find this.

Can you write down the 1800 number of the place where you live? You know, the place where all the nice people in white coats take care of you and make sure you take your medicine? Thanks a good boy, just get us your helper's phone number so we can take care of your nasty habit of typing jibberish on the magic internet box you sneak time on. That's a good boy, take your medicine and that bad man canonical will leave you alone and stop making you so angry.

Comment

• Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                I have nothing against Manjaro, but I have something against the poll choice showing Manjaro/Arch, when in reality it should be Manjaro only. I'm sure there are plenty of misled Archers that vote for it just because they see "Arch" written near it.
                I almost did that, but changed to fedora when I readed the alternative again. But then fedora is probably a better alternative than Arch for Phoronix either way.
                Last edited by Akka; 29 July 2013, 02:24 PM.

Comment

• I just switched from Arch to Ubuntu. Been using it about a week and it seems fine to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by boast View Post
                    I just switched from Arch to Ubuntu. Been using it about a week and it seems fine to me.
                    Sssshssssh....don't tell people, it's not possible!

Comment

• Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                      Source: http://www.ubuntu.com/about/about-ubuntu

Can you even read? This is literally paragraph 2. It took me all of 5 seconds to find this.
                      To be honest, that's... even worse. It makes it seem that Ubuntu started off as a Linux distribution, but is no longer one. And then in the 5th paragraph you have:
                      Ubuntu is different from the commercial Linux offerings that preceded it because it doesn't divide its efforts between a high-quality commercial version and a free, 'community' version.
                      But Ubuntu isn't based on any commercial offering, and the community versions are no worse than the commercial offerings (the point of them is support, not the software). And once again it makes it seem that Ubuntu is no longer a Linux distribution.

Then again, them not advertising Linux too much may not be that bad, as they diverge from the usual stack. Same as Android, them not mentioning Linux that prominently means that people can continue referring to GNU/Linux distributions as those that have the regular software stack.

Comment

Working...
                      X