Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I got robbed at gunpoint today....

Hybrid View

Default I got robbed at gunpoint today....

And the dumbass only got 15 bucks and I got a real good picture of him on the security camera. Dealing with the police was just about as big a pain in the ass as dealing with the robber though. They made me feel as if I had been the one that had done something wrong. I felt like I was being interrogated. I seriously doubt this guy will ever have to answer for pointing a gun at me.

Quote Originally Posted by duby229 View Post
    And the dumbass only got 15 bucks and I got a real good picture of him on the security camera. Dealing with the police was just about as big a pain in the ass as dealing with the robber though. They made me feel as if I had been the one that had done something wrong. I felt like I was being interrogated. I seriously doubt this guy will ever have to answer for pointing a gun at me.
    It's their job to question the victim too so that they can get a proper picture of what actually happened. They are not PR trained, you know.

Your first time making a police report?

Let me guess, you live in the US? :-P

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Let me guess, you live in the US? :-P
    Can you think of any other country that legalizes civilian gun ownership?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonadow View Post
    You really should have done a quick check of Wikipedia before asking such a silly question.

[TL;DR] You can skip to the bottom line [TL;DR]

I'm sorry for what happened to you, but at least it was only 15 bucks and you are safe. 15 bucks is way less than any time it happened to me. These guys have probably already taken a few thousands from me.

I live in Sao Paulo, Brazil and get robbed at gunpoint every 6 months or so. Some things people said in this thread, like not hanging out on the streets at certain times, learning self-defence, etc. just doesn't apply here. I'm thinking about getting a gun myself for a long time now but, guess what, it's impossible for me to get it by legal means, which mean, I'm seriously thinking about going to the other side of the law myself. I'm just a computer programmer. I study, I work five days a week, I watch movies, I play video-games, I use Linux. I'm a (almost) normal guy. I just want to live my life safely but I don't have this option unless I:

a) Get rich and buy a nice, very safe apartment, bullet-proof car and all kinds of expensive security stuff. (A lot of people do that here, many adapted bullet-proof cars on the streets, seriously!)
    b) Start walking around with a gun and become a criminal too for doing so. The badder the safer is the rule.

Mobilizing the population, protesting against the government, anything like that can get you in jail quickly. Shooting people around will hardly ever get you behind bars. That's my city.

Sorry, this is getting too long. The bottom line is:
    I never got robbed in a year I lived in America. I just got robbed at gunpoint again in less than two weeks I'm back to Brazil. Guns are not allowed here.

How is that relevant? It is illegal to rob someone. And even more so with a firearm. Besides, the vast majority of these instances occur in cities where gun ownership is illegal. Los Angeles, Chicago, New York, DC, etc. It's pretty dishonest to associate gun ownership with criminal activity.

Do I even need to mention Mexico, where private gun ownership is illegal, but 10,000+ people are killed each year with them by violent criminals? Gun control laws only help criminals, and punish law abiding citizens.
    Last edited by torsionbar28; 09-13-2013 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    How is that relevant? It is illegal to rob someone. And even more so with a firearm. Besides, the vast majority of these instances occur in cities where gun ownership is illegal. Los Angeles, Chicago, New York, DC, etc. It's pretty dishonest to associate gun ownership with criminal activity.

Do I even need to mention Mexico, where private gun ownership is illegal, but 10,000+ people are killed each year with them by violent criminals? Gun control laws only help criminals, and punish law abiding citizens.
    Good luck with explaining it to stalinist

Yes, Iraq. After the US's invasion of Iraq, civilian gun ownership became legal there

No, that is not a joke, though I wouldn't blame the US for it, it's just a very ironic coincidence I guess.

Whether or not it is legal in a country to carry firearms, you'll have people that has them anyway. What makes it fairly obvious is the use of the word 'bucks' which I mostly associate with USA, though I guess Canada, Australia, and a few other countries could be using it as well.