Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HIS HD 3870 IceQ 3 Turbo

Hi all,

I just bought and returned two GeForce 8800GT cards (MSI zilent and Sparkle cool-pipe 3), because they would not work with my PCIe 1.0a Mainboard (MSI K8N Neo4 Deluxe [NForce4 Ultra]). The card was not recognized at all, the screen remained black.

I'm assuming that no other 8800GT will work with this board, and I'm not willing to upgrade to a completely new system.

Therefore, for the first time since migrating to Linux entirely, I'm considering a ATI card. I really want to do three things on my machine:

- Work (2D)
    - Dualhead
    - Enemy Territory Quake Wars

Optionally, it would be nice to get Compiz to work, but this is not a requirement.

I was looking at overclocked cards, that have equivalent performance to the 8800GT such as a HD3870 by HIS (HD 3870 IceQ 3 Turbo):

Is there anyone with experience with this card, in particular under linux? Are there any benchmarks on the net? Is the ATI driver in a state that allows fulfilling the above tasks?

Any hints?

Coming from an experience That I just had today with that same card, I can tell you that ATi's fglrx driver is simply not ready. And that is the only driver that has 3D support at this time. If your looking for dual head you'll be glad to know that it works fairly well in clone mode, but does not at all work in any other mode. Compiz worked right away with no problem, and if you just had one monitor, I'd say fglrx would suit you well, but working with more then one is simply not a viable option givin the drivers current state.

Originally I wanted to run the main monitor off of the 3870, and the TV off a 1950pro, but fglrx totally crapped out. It wouldnt even load the module, it just said that no device on the given busid was available. Totally worthless if you want multi gpu support, or even single gpu with multihead.

The only thing fglrx is good for is one gpu with one monitor. All other configurations are buggy as hell, or dont work at all.

Comment

Originally posted by f33l View Post
      I just bought and returned two GeForce 8800GT cards (MSI zilent and Sparkle cool-pipe 3), because they would not work with my PCIe 1.0a Mainboard (MSI K8N Neo4 Deluxe [NForce4 Ultra]). The card was not recognized at all, the screen remained black.

I'm assuming that no other 8800GT will work with this board, and I'm not willing to upgrade to a completely new system.
      I can't find the same problem on the internet, did you flashed the latest bios and is your powersupply strong enough?
      Because eventhough you motherboard is PCI-E 1.0a is should work.

Comment

Originally posted by Vassili View Post
        I can't find the same problem on the internet, did you flashed the latest bios and is your powersupply strong enough?
        Because eventhough you motherboard is PCI-E 1.0a is should work.
        I'm using the latest BIOS (well, there are no really current versions available) and my power supply is strong enough. I did some research and it turns out that PCIe 2.0 is compatible to PCIe 1.1 for sure, but only in "most cases" for PCIe 1.0 & 1.0a.

Comment

Working...
        X