Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: The Passing Of An Open-Source GPU Driver Developer

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,657

    Default The Passing Of An Open-Source GPU Driver Developer

    Phoronix: The Passing Of An Open-Source GPU Driver Developer

    A lot of exciting information was learned at FOSDEM from Wine on Android to Freedreno Gallium3D moving along to the open-source Tegra driver, but on a more grim note, a well known open-source graphics driver developer had passed away...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI5MzA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: The Passing Of An Open-Source GPU Driver Developer

    A lot of exciting information was learned at FOSDEM from Wine on Android to Freedreno Gallium3D moving along to the open-source Tegra driver, but on a more grim note, a well known open-source graphics driver developer had passed away...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI5MzA
    That's horrible.

    R.I.P.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Sunshine State
    Posts
    303

    Default

    Sad to hear. His work was interesting and appreciated.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2

    Default Unreal

    I read Phoronix since a long time, but this time is too pathetic to ignore. You are making an article about a fellow developer who unfortunalty passed away, and the very first sentence is about how we learned exciting informations (sic!), pointing not, to one, two or three, but four of your own articles. Long time Phoronix readers are already aware that you'll use any means to get as much hit as possible on any article regardless or their content, wich in majority is extremely poor for someone that call himself "journalist", but doing it in such a nasty way, without at least having the decency to focus on Oliver McFadden with the very first lines, and without feeling the need to throw us a puke of references to your own blog articles. Even the title stinks, make it sounds like you're going to tell us a tale.

    And you couldnt even end with a word of support for its relatives, you know, at least by courtesy.

    You are a despicable person.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    1,877

    Default

    RIP Oliver! Thank you for all of the hard work and long hours you put in as a developer and I hope your family is doing well and you are at peace.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    1,277

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JiE3D View Post
    I read Phoronix since a long time, but this time is too pathetic to ignore. You are making an article about a fellow developer who unfortunalty passed away, and the very first sentence is about how we learned exciting informations (sic!), pointing not, to one, two or three, but four of your own articles. Long time Phoronix readers are already aware that you'll use any means to get as much hit as possible on any article regardless or their content, wich in majority is extremely poor for someone that call himself "journalist", but doing it in such a nasty way, without at least having the decency to focus on Oliver McFadden with the very first lines, and without feeling the need to throw us a puke of references to your own blog articles. Even the title stinks, make it sounds like you're going to tell us a tale.

    And you couldnt even end with a word of support for its relatives, you know, at least by courtesy.

    You are a despicable person.
    ...he was pointing out articles of what the guy accomplished, to allow people to realize what he has left behind. What's the point of telling readers the significance of this guy if they don't know what he did and why he's significant? Putting links to other articles is more of a convenience than a "hey lets make a profit from a dead guy". While pointing out excitement might've been unnecessary for the first sentence, at least he didn't mention fodsdem at the end. Way to make this seem a lot worse than it really is.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    ...he was pointing out articles of what the guy accomplished, to allow people to realize what he has left behind. What's the point of telling readers the significance of this guy if they don't know what he did and why he's significant? Putting links to other articles is more of a convenience than a "hey lets make a profit from a dead guy". While pointing out excitement might've been unnecessary for the first sentence, at least he didn't mention fodsdem at the end. Way to make this seem a lot worse than it really is.
    No, the "exciting" articles referenced in the beginning have NOTHING to do with Olivier, it serves absolutly no purpose in the subject apart trying to get some precious hits and you know it. Like I said im used to Michael doing it all day long, but on an article of that matter that is just plain disgusting.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JiE3D View Post
    I read Phoronix since a long time, but this time is too pathetic to ignore. You are making an article about a fellow developer who unfortunalty passed away, and the very first sentence is about how we learned exciting informations (sic!), pointing not, to one, two or three, but four of your own articles. Long time Phoronix readers are already aware that you'll use any means to get as much hit as possible on any article regardless or their content, wich in majority is extremely poor for someone that call himself "journalist", but doing it in such a nasty way, without at least having the decency to focus on Oliver McFadden with the very first lines, and without feeling the need to throw us a puke of references to your own blog articles. Even the title stinks, make it sounds like you're going to tell us a tale.

    And you couldnt even end with a word of support for its relatives, you know, at least by courtesy.

    You are a despicable person.
    I think you are letting your feelings take over you, I did not perceive the article the same way you did, I just read a typical article.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rural Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    Just chiming in to also say RIP Oliver.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JiE3D View Post
    Long time Phoronix readers are already aware that you'll use any means to get as much hit as possible on any article regardless or their content, wich in majority is extremely poor for someone that call himself "journalist", but doing it in such a nasty way, without at least having the decency to focus on Oliver McFadden with the very first lines, and without feeling the need to throw us a puke of references to your own blog articles.
    At first I read the article the same way, but then I realized that Michael needed some way to explain that this was not current news, but him informing us of something from the past that he was not aware of until now, and that's why he began by talking about FOSDEM - because FOSDEM was the impetus for him to find out what happened to Oliver McFadden.

    Even the title stinks, make it sounds like you're going to tell us a tale.
    He did. See above.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •